Minutes · Minutes General Board

October 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
October 15, 2018, 6:00 pm
Home of Gayle Bennett, Ontario, CA

The meeting was called to order at 6:32 pm by Laura Greene, with the following members in attendance:  Laura Greene, Cat Wallace, Gayle Bennett, Jennifer Adams, Becky Brekke, Pat Klassen, and Tricia Williams.

OLD BUSINESS

Committee Reports

Programs – Cat Wallace

November Member University – Presenters are all set.  We should arrive to the Mountain Shadows clubhouse at 1:00 to allow time for setting up. Tricia will bring her WiFi Hot Spot so that Laura can access the internet to demonstrate the MQG website.

December Holiday Party -Cat said that no one has volunteered to help with the holiday party.  Tricia said that she will definitely be there to help because she has to be there as the resident host so that we can use the room.  Cat will pass around a clipboard at the November meeting to get more helpers.  Cat will also have a sign-up sheet at the next meeting for toppings for the chili bar.  We will play LRC for fat quarters again, but this time we will break up in to several groups. We will also play quilters bingo.

The January Colourwerx Trunk Show – The speaker, Linda Sullivan, has been confirmed and we have a signed contract.  Cat will ask her to bring items for members to purchase.

February meeting – Cat plans to ask Lynn Hanna if she would like to do the Spotlight Quilter presentation at the February meeting.  If so, Tricia will do her presentation at a later date.

June meeting – Tentatively set for Mel Beach.  Mel Beach charges $500 for a lecture, about $200 for airline, and $700 for a workshop.  The workshop fee would be paid by each participant.  Pat Klassen moved that we book Mel Beach for a lecture and workshop, and the motion was seconded by Cat Wallace; the motion carried.  We will use survey monkey to ask members which lecture they would like to hear from Mel.  Jenn will contact the Temecula Modern Guild and invite them to join the workshop.

VP Communications – Jennifer Adams

Jenn reported that the election ballots were posted (via Survey Monkey) this morning, and 17 people have already voted.  People who have not yet voted will receive email reminders automatically through Survey Monkey. The election closes on Friday, November 2 at 5 p.m. PDT. Jenn will notify Laura of the election results, and the results will be announced at the November meeting.

 

 

Secretary – Tricia Williams

Tricia mentioned that the meeting room at JoAnn’s needs to be reserved at least two weeks in advance.  She will reserve the room for our next board meeting, which will be November 26 at 6:00 p.m.

Treasurer – Gayle Bennett

Gayle asked if we need to keep the membership forms from prior years.  We agreed that we may at some point want to reach out to previous members who have not been back to the Guild.  Becky will scan the forms and they will be stored on our Google Drive, then the paper copies will be destroyed.

Gayle reported our bank balances after paying The Hive for the retreat.  She will be paying SCCQG for our insurance and will pay the additional $25 for an Insurance Certificate for any venues we may use.

Gayle asked if Cat needs any money for the holiday party.  Jenn Adams moved that we allow Cat Wallace $100 incidentals for the holiday party; Becky Brekke seconded, and the motion carried.

Gayle will announce at the November meeting that we will begin accepting annual dues, and remind members that they need to fill out a new membership form every year so that we can make sure we have all of their correct contact information.

Becky Brekke – Upcycle Sale Event

The Upcycle Sale brought in approximately $620.  There are still a few larger itmes, which will be posted on Facebook.  Members can purchase them through Facebook, and pick them up at the November meeting.

Refreshments – Pat Klassen

Pat reported that she has people lined up for refreshments for the November meeting.  She will pass around a new sign-up sheet at the November and December meeting for next year’s meetings.

New Business

Laura said that everything in the Policies section of the old By-Laws is now covered in our new By-Laws.  Tricia Williams moved that we dissolve the Policies section that was formerly part of the By-Laws; Cat Wallace seconded, and the motion carried.

 

IEMQG General Meeting Agenda
November 3, 2018 – 2pm-4pm

Community Center, Mountain Shadows Mobile Home Park
4040 E. Piedmont Drive, Highland, CA 92346

  1. President
    1. Welcome Ice Breaker
    2. Upcycling Event Update
    3. Announce new officers
    4. Call for 2019 chairpersons
  2. Committee Announcements
    1. Holiday party, Colorwerx program – Cat
    2. Pop-up Exhibit – Gayle
    3. Charity – Rachel
  3. Welcome Table Attendance Count – Pat
  4. Refreshments – Pat
  5. Break for visiting and snacks
  6. Member University
    1. Station 1 – MQG Website – Laura
    2. Station 2 – AcuQuilt – Trish
    3. Station 3 – Specialty Threads – Christina
    4. Station 4 – Machine Binding – Donna
  7. Show and Share
  8. Raffles – Alisa, Pat

Adjournment

Next Board Meeting – Monday, November 26, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. at JoAnn Fabrics in Ontario, with dinner at Chic-fil-A at 5:30.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Tricia Williams, Secretary

 

Minutes · Minutes General Board

September 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
September 10, 2018, 6:00 pm
JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts, Ontario, CA

The meeting was called to order at 6:10 pm by Laura Greene, with the following members in attendance:  Laura Greene, Cat Wallace, Gayle Bennett, Jennifer Adams, Becky Brekke, and Tricia Williams.

OLD BUSINESS

Committee Reports

Programs – Cat Wallace

Cat said that there are no changes to the programs schedule as reported at the last board meeting.  Cat has been unable to reach Amy French to get the charity materials from her.  Rachel McGee will be taking over as charity chairperson.

We agreed that the VP of Programs will prior to each meeting provide a contract for the speaker so that the Treasurer can have a check prepared to give to the speaker on the day of the meeting.

VP Communications – Jennifer Adams

Jenn reported that we need to get everyone to join the new Modern Quilt Guild website.  WE also need to use our Circle on the website.  It is important that we participate in the Circle occasionally but we don’t need to use it frequently because it is not very user-friendly.

Treasurer – Gayle Bennett

Gayle presented the Income & Expense Report for 2018 and also showed projections for 2019. Jenn will look up the website expenses and get those figures to Gayle so that she can add that information to the 2019 projection.

We agreed that we need to have a Fund Raising Chairperson who would be in charge of the upcycle events, opportunity quilts, and any other fund raising activities.

Marilyn Simone has agreed to handle auditing the books.  She will go through the bank statements and make sure that what Gayle reported for income and expense agrees with the bank statements.

Retreat – Cat Wallace will contact the remaining retreat attendees who have not yet volunteered to contribute to the meals and will ask a couple of them to help out with money for the lunch that Jenn is providing on Friday, and will ask some to contribute paper goods and plastic utensils.   Cat will contact Superior Threads and ask them to contribute some prizes for the ice-breaker bunco game we will play at the retreat.

Gayle reminded us that submissions for the Ontario Museum display need to be in by 3:00 pm on Monday, September 17.

Becky Brekke – Upcycle Sale Event

We will meet at Becky’s house on September 29 at 10:00 to help her price the sale items.

At the Upcycle Event, we will provide a free cup of coffee with any bake sale purchase.

Gayle Bennett moved to allow $40 to Becky Brekke for supplies for the upcycle event; Jennifer Adams seconded, and the motion carried.

At the Upcycle Event, there will be a box for block lotto entries.

New Business

Laura Green said that we currently need chairpersons for Membership and Fund Raising.  Laura will ask Ruthann Salera if she will be our Membership Chairperson.

While going over the Sections VII and VIII of the Bylaws, we discussed how this year’s elections will be executed.   The last opportunity to nominate someone to be added to the proposed slate of officers will be at the October Upcycle Event.  The nominating committee will have a table at the October event where members can submit nominations for, or express their own interest in a board position.  The nominating committee will submit the final slate, and voting will be done by Survey Monkey between Saturday, October 27 and Saturday, November 3, 2018.  The election results will be announced at the November general meeting on November 3, 2018.

We finished reviewing the Bylaws which will be posted on the IEMQG website.  Because we operate under the umbrella of the national Modern Quilt Guild, we are not required to submit our Bylaws to the State.

We decided to work on the policies as a separate document at a later date.

October General Meeting Agenda

Set-up (9-10am)
Sale Begins (10am-4pm)
Special Tables
-Nominating Committee Table
-Block Lotto Collection Table
-Raffle Table
Clean-up (4-5pm)

 

The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Tricia Williams, Secretary

Minutes · Minutes Monthly Meeting

September 2018 General Meeting Minutes

IEMQG General Meeting Minutes
September 1, 2018
Grand Terrace Community Center
22795 Barton Road, Grand Terrace, CA 92313

 

The meeting was called to order at 2:05 p.m. by Laura Greene, President.

Welcome – Warm-up

The Warm-up statement was “Emotions drive the completion of my quilts.”  Attendees grouped under the sign that best represented their response to that question – Strongly Agree, Agree, Slightly Disagree, and Strongly Disagree.  After a few minutes of discussing the topic in the various groups, Laura awarded the door prize to the person who had the closest birthday.

Laura announced that she will nominate committee chairpersons.  Anyone interested in one of those positions should let Laura know.  The following committee chairperson positions are open: Block Lotto, Charity, Social Media, Welcome/Hospitality, and Upcycle Sale.

Candy Scott is head of the nominating committee.  The committee will have one month to gather nominations, so members should let them know if they are interested in any of the board positions, which are President, Treasurer, Vice President of Communications, Vice President of Programs, and Secretary.  The committee has a list of job descriptions, and those are also posted on our guild website so that members can look there to see what the various positions entail.

Committee Reports

Cat Wallace, VP of Programs reminded us of the Upcycle Event to be held October 6 from 10 – 4 at the Mountain Shadows Mobile Home Community clubhouse.  There will be lots of great things to purchase, a bake sale, and fellowship.  There will be no business meeting at this event, and no show and share.  Ginger suggested that we display some modern quilts at this event so that visitors can see what our guild is about.  Cat asked that people share ideas for what they would like to do at the holiday party, which will be December 1 at Mountain Shadows.    The November 3 meeting will be another Member University.  Laura Green will introduce the new MQG website.  Tricia Williams will demonstrate the Accuquilt Go! fabric cutter.  Donna Gaston will show us a machine binding method, and Cat Wallace will do a presentation on Quick Curve Rulers.

Gayle Bennett, Treasurer reminded us that September 17 is the deadline to submit quilts to be displayed at the Ontario Museum of History and Art.  They need about 30 quilts and so far only two have been submitted.  To enter a quilt for this display, fill out the online entry form, which can be found on our website, and include two digital photos of your quilt – one showing the full quilt and one showing detail.  The maximum size of the quilts is 48” wide by 54” long, and they must have a 4” sleeve.  No mulit-panel quilts will be accepted.  The deadline for entries is 3:00 p.m. on September 17.  You can enter a quilt that is not yet finished, but they must be complete by September 30.  Quilts will be dropped off on Friday, November 30 – the museum is close to Gayle’s work, so she will try to arrange to deliver the quilts.  They will be displayed December 13 – December 30 and can be picked up January 11.

SCCQG is looking for modern quilts to be displayed at Road to California.  They want new quilts that have not been widely shown, and no kit quilts.  Our website will have a link to the entry form.

Hospitality – Amy French and Alison Cutler signed up to provide refreshments at our next meeting, but since that will be the Upcycle Event, Pat will ask them if they will work the bake sale instead.  Evie Reinstra and Christine Sharp are scheduled to bring refreshments to the November meeting.

Upcyle Event – Jenn Adams, filling in for Becky Brekke, asked for volunteers to help out at our Upcycle Sale on October 6.  She passed around a clipboard for sign ups.  On September 29, the board will be meeting at Becky’s house to price all of the upcycle items and prepare them to display at the sale.  Anyone is welcome to help out.

Jenn Adams, VP Communications – The MQG website has changed to a new server, so it is necessary for everyone to create a new login.  Jen described some of the new information that is now available on the MQG website.

After a short break, Laura Green showed the new Block Lotto, which is Triangles for Fun.  The instructions for the improv pieced block will be on the website.  Everyone who participates in block lotto gets entered into a drawing for a prize which will be awarded at our holiday party.  You get one entry for each block that you make.

Song Challenge

Each quilter talked about her challenge piece, then Linda Rasmussen gave a quick and very helpful critique of each one.  There were twelve song challenge pieces submitted and they were enjoyed by all.

Raffles – Tricia Williams (in Alison Howe’s absence) presented the raffle winner with a set of fat quarters.  Pat Klassen presented the name tag raffle winner with her prize.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Tricia Williams

Minutes · Minutes General Board

August 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
August 20, 2018, 6:00 pm
JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts, Ontario, CA

The meeting was called to order at 6:10 pm by Laura Greene, with the following members in attendance:  Laura Greene, Cat Wallace, Gayle Bennett, Jennifer Adams, Becky Brekke, and Tricia Williams.

OLD BUSINESS
Committee Reports
Programs – Cat Wallace

September meeting – Linda Rasmussen has confirmed that she will be at our meeting to curate our song challenge creations.

November meeting – Member University.  Laura Greene will do a presentation on using the MQG website; Jen pointed out that the website is undergoing major changes this month.  Tricia Williams will demonstrate the Accuquilt Go! fabric cutting system.  Cat Wallace will demonstrate Quick Curve Rulers since we are not sure that Pat is comfortable doing that.  Cat will talk to Christina Williams about sharing some information about working with decorative threads.

December Holiday Party – At the September general meeting, Cat will ask members for ideas about what activities they’d like to have at the party. Cat is already planning to play Left-Right-Center, but this time playing for decorative threads.  She’s also thinking of playing Quilters’ Bingo.  We need prizes for Quilters’ Bingo. We still have plenty of plates, etc. from last year.

Cat suggested two ideas for next year’s challenges – “Inspired by Tradition” and “Two Color Challenge.”  We agreed to both, and plan to do the two color challenge in April.

January – Linda Sullivan has confirmed for her Colourwerx Truck Show.

February –Tricia Williams will do a spotlight quilter presentation and Cathleen Wallace will do a transition quilter presentation.

March – Alison Cutler will do a transition quilter presentation.

April – Linda Rasmussen has confirmed that she will curate our April challenge.

May – Women’s History presentation by Kim Wingert, with Cat as backup if Kim is not available.

June – Third Birthday.  Cat has tentatively scheduled Becky McDaniel, but she is not necessarily a modern quilter, so Cat will find out if we can get Mel Beach instead.

July – Christine Sharp will do a transition quilter presentation.

August – Trunk show by Cat Wallace.

September – Linda Rasmussen has confirmed that she will curate our September challenge.

VP Communications – Jennifer Adams

Jen reported that there is a new member portal for the MQG website. She will create a sheet about the new method to log on to the MQG website.

Treasurer – Gayle Bennett

Gayle gave a brief financial update. We have enough money in our account to pay for the retreat, SCCQG dues, and insurance.  She reported that there are discrepancies in the money from the Thrilling Threads workshop and we discussed who had paid.  Gayle will double-check her records. There was one person who had paid for the workshop ahead of time who could not attend because of a family medical emergency. We agreed that she should be reimbursed because we only paid the speaker for those who attended.

Gayle reminded us that submissions for the Ontario Museum display need to be in by 3:00 pm on Monday, September 15.

Secretary – Tricia Williams

Tricia asked for clarification on submitting the minutes; it was agreed that she will send drafts of minutes to all board members for approval before Jen posts them on our website.

Becky Brekke – Upcycle Sale Event

Becky clarified that the sale will be from 10 – 4 on October 6.  Tricia will reserve the clubhouse from 9 – 5 so that we have time for setup before and cleanup after.  We agreed that we will not have a business meeting at this event, and we will also skip show and share.

Laura said that she has not been able to get a list of member guilds from SCCQG to Upcycle Sale flyers to.  Jen will send flyers to guilds in Southern California based on a list on the internet.  Tricia will find out about advertising the sale in the Mountain Shadows newsletter; she will also put an ad on Craigslist and find out about advertising in the Highland Community News and in the Pennysaver.

Since Becky will not be able to attend the September meeting, Jen will ask for volunteers to help with the sale, and will pass around a sign-up sheet.  Jen will also collect any items donated for the sale.

Gayle will bring a cash drawer and our Pay Pal swiper to the sale.

We will meet at Becky’s house on September 29 at 10:00 to help her price the sale items.

Charity

Cat Wallace will take donated quilts to Amy for distribution.  Cat will get the labels and other materials from Amy.

New Business

Laura said we would put-off working on the Bylaws and discuss job descriptions.

We discussed and fine-tuned the job descriptions of the various board member and committee chairman positions.  The information will be posted on the website for further discussion.  We agreed that the descriptions should include an estimate of the amount of time required for the duties.

Membership chairman duties will be returned to the Treasurer so that she can more easily keep track of who has joined and who has paid.  Tricia will turn the records over to Gayle.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Tricia Williams, Secretary

 

IEMQG General Meeting Agenda

September 1, 2018 – 2:00pm – 4:00pm
Community Center, Grand Terrace
22795 Barton Rd, Grand Terrace, CA 92313

  1. Welcome (Laura)
    a. Warm up – “Emotions drive my completion of quilts.”
    b. Nominating Committee announced
  2. Committee Reports (Cat)
    a. Program Announcements
    i. October meeting – Upcycling Event at Mountain Shadows
    ii. November meeting – Member University at Mountain Shadows
    iii. December meeting – Holiday Party at Mountain Shadows
  3. Quilt Exhibits (Gayle)
    a. Ontario Museum of History & Art
    b. SCCQG at Road to California
  4. Upcycling Event (Jen)
  5. MQG Website Changes (Jen)
  6. Block Lotto (Shelley) – Announcement of October block
  7. Hospitality – Refreshments Sign-up (Pat)
  8. Break – Visit and Snacks
  9. Program – Song Title Challenge (Cat)

10. Raffles – Fat Quarter … continue reading

Minutes · Minutes Monthly Meeting

August 2018 General Meeting Minutes

IEMQG General Meeting Minutes
August 4, 2018
Grand Terrace Community Center
22795 Barton Road, Grand Terrace, CA 92313

 

The meeting was called to order at 2:02 p.m. by Laura Greene, President.

Welcome – Warm-up

The Warm-up statement was “Vacations inspire me to quilt.”  Attendees grouped under the sign that best represented their response to that question – Strongly Agree, Agree, Slightly Disagree, and Strongly Disagree.  After a few minutes of discussing the topic in the various groups, Laura awarded the door prize to the person who mentioned being inspired at the beach.

Laura announced that at our September meeting, the nominating committee will be taking nominations for next year’s officers.  Anyone interested in taking one of the positions should notify the nominating committee.  There will also be nominations accepted from the floor at the September meeting, but please be sure that whoever you wish to nominate is willing to take the position.

The position of Charity Chairperson is currently open.  Amy is not able to handle all of the duties.  She can deliver the quilts but can’t make it to the meetings to collect the quilts and keep records of who donated them.  While we are in this transition period, please continue to make charity quilts, since this is a main part of our purpose as a not-for-profit organization.

Since Becky Brekke, Upcycle Sale Chairperson, was not able to attend, Laura reminded us that donations are needed for our Upcycle Sale in October.  Donations can be brought to the next meeting, or to the Sit and Sew/workshop on August 19.   If you are donating fabric, please mark the size on each piece.  Donations of handmade items are also welcome, and on the day of the sale we will need baked goods donated.  Becky needs people to help with set-up before the sale and take-down after; she will be taking sign-ups at the September meeting.  Laura has sent information about the event to SCCQG to be shared with other guilds and encouraged members to take some flyers to distribute in the community.  Tricia Williams will look into advertising the event in the Highland Community News.

Committee Reports

Cat Wallace, VP of Programs, reminded us that Shawnee Miller will be conducting her Thrilling Threads workshop from 12:30 – 4:30 on August 19, 2018 at the Mountain Shadows Mobile Home Community clubhouse.  Shawnee will be providing fabric, special threads, and topstitch needles for attendees to make a thread sampler.  Cat encouraged members to sign up for the workshop on the clipboard at the greeter’s table.  Our Sit and Sew will still be from 9:00 – 5:00, so we will be sewing and having lunch before the workshop.

Our September meeting will feature the reveal of our song challenge quilts, and renowned quilt judge Linda Rasmussen will once again gently critique our quilts.

Gayle Bennett announced that if anyone hasn’t chosen a song title for the Song Challenge, she still has the bag of titles for them to draw from.  Anyone who wants a different song can draw another one, for a $5.00 donation to the guild.  She reminded us that the idea is to create a small quilt inspired by the song title.

IEMQG has been invited to provide modern quilts for display at the Ontario Museum of History and Art.  The quilts will be hung in the main exhibit hall at the museum.  To enter a quilt for this display, fill out the online entry form and include two digital photos of your quilt – one showing the full quilt and one showing detail.  The maximum size of the quilts is 48” wide by 54” long, and they must have a 4” sleeve.  No mulit-panel quilts will be accepted.  The deadline for entries is 3:00 p.m. on September 15.  You can enter a quilt that is not yet finished, but they must be complete by September 30.  Quilts will be dropped off on Friday, November 30 – the museum in close to Gayle’s work, so she will try to arrange to deliver the quilts.  They will be displayed December 13 – December 30 and can be picked up January 11.

Block Lotto – the August blocks were won by Allison Cutler.  We will not be doing block lotto in September because we will all be focused on finishing our song challenge quilts.

Hospitality – Pat Klassen is now being assisted at the greeter’s table by Ruthann Salera.  Pat announced that there were 20 members and 4 guests in attendance.  Goodies at the September meeting will be provided by Shelley and Cat.  Ruthann introduced the guests.

After a short break, Cat introduced our speaker, Shawnee Miller, Thread Educator.  Shawnee’s presentation focused on resolving issues with broken threads in our sewing machines.  Her visual aides were very helpful!

Among the wonderful quilts we saw during Show & Share was a great quilt that Ruthann Salera created from the block lotto arrow blocks that she won in July!  You may recall that when Ruthann won those blocks, Gayle jokingly told her that we would expect to see them sewn into a quilt at the next meeting.  Well, it took her two meetings, but she did it!

Raffles – Alisa Howe presented the raffle winner with a set of fat quarters.  Pat Klassen presented the name tag raffle winner with her prize.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Tricia Williams

Minutes · Minutes General Board

July 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
July 16, 2018, 6:00 pm
JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts, Ontario, CA

The meeting was called to order at 6:25 pm by Laura Greene, with the following members in attendance:  Laura Greene, Cat Wallace, Gayle Bennett, Jennifer Adams, Shelley Wardrop and Becky Brekke. Becky took minutes in the absence of Secretary Tricia Williams.

Old Business:

Committee Reports:

Programs:

August meeting – Cat has confirmed Shawnee Miller for the Thrilling Threads lecture.  Shawnee confirmed that she will be bring 15 kits with her on August 19 for the Thrilling Threads workshop. Currently we have 5 sign ups and Cat will provide a final count a few days before the workshop.

September meeting – Song Challenge Quilt event will be curated by Linda Rasmussen. Becky will not be attending this meeting.  Gayle offered to have her husband, Mike, take photos of the quilts in her absence. It was decided that there would be no Show and Share at this meeting.

Cat provided the members with her Program Report, current through March 2019.  We discussed having a well-known & modern speaker at our 3rd year birthday celebration for our June 2019 meeting. A few names were thrown out but are focusing on Becky McDaniel.  Cat will make contact and advise details as they become available.

Cat created a wonderful & special Thank You card for Simone.  Each member present signed the card and Cat will send to Simone in appreciation for her amazing presentation at the July general meeting.

VP Communications – Jen created “sew” very nice Thank You cards for the guild to use going forward.

Treasurer – Gayle gave a brief financial update. To date, only 3 members have yet to pay for the retreat in October. The Audit Committee needs to be established in October and the audit to be completed 30 days before the end of the year.

As our guild is growing, it was requested for Programs to have its own budget next year.

Upcycle Sale Event – Need to schedule a date & time and determine location to package and price donations. We need to finalize this at the August board meeting. Becky to send Laura Upcycle Sale flyer for her to send to the SCCQG guilds.

Jen has offered to speak about this event at the September general meeting in Becky’s absence.

Welcome/Refreshments – No old business

Raffle – No old business

Charity – It was decided a co-chairperson will be nominated to assist the current Charity chair.  This position will be announced at the August general meeting. In the meantime, Shelley has volunteered to monitor quilt donations. Shelley was given the donation form and Jen will email her the tax donation receipt.

Membership – No old business

President:

Klatch Coffee Exhibit – The exhibit is ending and Laura asked for volunteers to assist picking up the displayed quilts on July 31 at 5 pm.

Nominating Committee – Laura will discuss the Nominating Committee and upcoming Guild election at the August general meeting. She will specifically discuss the purpose and responsibility of the committee. At the August meeting the chair will be appointed. We decided to utilize an electronic ballot option for members unable to cast their vote in person such as Survey Monkey for the upcoming election.

SCCQG – Laura and Cat attended the July SCCQG meeting in Santa Barbara. The Coastal Quilters Guild of Santa Barbara/Goleta, Inc. hosted the event. The topic of the meeting was Leadership Round Table – Guild Officers. Group break out discussion on specific guild positions and events were found to be very informative information. Laura encouraged members to visit www.southbayquiltersguild.org website to view a sample of this guilds job duties as they are listed by month. Laura would also like to pursue removing the policies from the bylaws and possibly renaming “policies’ to “standing rules”.  This will be discussed further at the August board meeting.

Job duties are due at the August board meeting.

Review Bylaws.  We agreed on the following changes:

 

ARTICLE VII. NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS

Section 1.

Nominations of Executive Board 

  1. Changed “September” to “August”.
  2. No changes
  3. Revised to read “Additional nominations shall be made at the October meeting from the General Membership.” Added additional sentence “Nominees must have given consent for the nomination.”
  4. Revised to read “All nominations shall be published until the date of the vote on the guild website.”
  5. Revised to read “Nominations may be made from the General Membership with the consent of the nominee on the day of the election and are not subject to prior publication.”

 

Section 2.

Election of Executive Board

No changes

 

Section 3.

Revised second sentence to read “Officers will have no term limits if unopposed.”

 

Section 4.

No changes

New Business:

The Guild has been invited to exhibit quilts at the Ontario Museum of History & Art, 225 Euclid Ave, Ontario, CA 91762, December 13-30.  We will have one wall available to us which will fit approximately 20-30 quilts. Tentatively, quilt size should be no larger than 48” and must have a sleeve (click link for sleeve instructions How to add a sleeve to your quilt).  Per Laura, quilt drop off date at the museum is Friday, November 30 between 1-3 pm and quilt pickup date is January 11, 2019 from 1-3 pm. Members may coordinate with Gayle as she works nearby and is happy to assist in the drop off and pickup of the quilts.

Jen will create flyer and announce the exhibit at the August general meeting.

The Guild has also been invited to exhibit at the Chaffey Community Museum of Art, 217 S Lemon Ave, Ontario, CA 91761 this spring/summer.  The dates are May 23 – July 20, 2019. Laura is working on the title and a 2-3 sentence bio statement. More details to follow.

 

Next meeting – Monday, August 20 at 6:00 pm at JoAnn Fabric & Crafts, 4470 Ontario Mills Pkwy, Ontario, CA 91764 (Dinner beforehand at Chick-fil-A, 4350 Ontario Mills Pkwy, Ontario, CA 91764 at … continue reading

Minutes · Minutes Monthly Meeting

July 2018 General Meeting Minutes

IEMQG General Meeting Minutes
July 7, 2018
Grand Terrace Community Center
22795 Barton Road, Grand Terrace, CA 92313

The meeting was called to order at 2:03 pm by Cat Wallace, VP of Programs (in the absence of Laura Greene).

Welcome – Warm-up

The warm-up statement was the “Fourth of July is the most important holiday of the year.” Attendees grouped under the sign that best represented their response to that question – Strongly Agree, Agree, Disagree, and Strongly Disagree. Cat went around to each group to listen into their discussions.  After a few minutes, Cat asked which group had mentioned “Thanksgiving” as almost each group had, Cat asked which group had mentioned “Unity” and as no group had specifically used that word, but two groups had used similar phrases.  At that point, we decided to choose a number and the group who came closest to the number won the prize.  Group Disagree won the prize.

Cat announced that there was a Nominating Committee chairperson position open and details would follow soon.

Committee Reports

Cat Wallace, VP of Programs, reported that the August meeting program will be a lecture on using specialty threads, by Shawnee Miller, called Thrilling Threads. In conjunction with the lecture, Shawnee Miller will teach a workshop on how to create a thread sampler during our August 19th Sit and Sew at Mountain Shadows. The workshop will be from 12:30 – 3:30 pm. Shawnee will provide fabric, threads and needles for us to create the thread sampler using different types of threads. The cost of the workshop is $35. A flyer for this event has been created and members were encouraged to grab one for more details. Our September meeting program will be the Song Challenge with Linda Rasmussen, a national quilt show judge, curating.  Our October meeting program will be the Upcycle Sale at Mountain Shadows on October 6th.  A flyer for this event has been created and members were encouraged to grab one for more details.

Gayle Bennett announced that if anyone hasn’t chosen a song title for the Song Challenge, she still has the bag of titles for them to draw from. Anyone who wants a different song can draw another one, for a $5.00 donation to the guild. The quilts will be presented at our September meeting and Linda Rasmussen has offered to curate the quilts for us once again.  The quilting retreat which is October 19-21 at the “Gather at the Hive” in Fallbook is full. For those you haven’t yet paid, payment of $160.00 is due by August 4th. In addition to paying by cash and check, you now have the option to pay via PayPal (via ‘Friends and Family’)

Shelley Wardrop showed us the Wonky House block submissions for this month. The Wonky House block lotto entries were won by Laura Greene. Shelley announced and showed samples for the August block lotto called Square in a Square. Instructions will be available on our website. Shelley also reminded members to submit past block lotto blocks to her if you forgot to bring them with you or are still working on them as you will be entered in the year end drawing.  Shelley will give the block lotto to the winner of that particular month.

Refreshments – Pat Klassen, reported that the members signed up to bring the August snacks were not at the meeting, however, she would be sure to remind them.

Hospitality Hostess – Pat Klassen reported that were 22 members, 2 NEW members and 5 guests in attendance. One of the new members was Josie and she is our founding Jr member!

Break – We visited, shopped Simone Bradford’s Pop Up shop and enjoyed snacks and beverages.

Meeting resumed at 2:52 pm.

Cat Wallace gave a warm introduction to our speaker and one of our own guild members, Simone Bradford. Simone took us through her journey from childhood through present day. At a very young age she knew she wanted to be an artist. And through high school and college, she followed her passion by obtaining a well-rounded and extensive education in many art mediums. We all enjoyed learning about her art background. Her friend Elizabeth introduced her to quilting by inviting her to a quilting retreat and giving her a quilting magazine. Then in February 2016, Simone decided to take a Designing Fabric class at Quiltcon 2016.  After that, she began sending patterns to fabric companies. She received a few rejections, but finally, Paintbrush Studio Fabrics gave her the go ahead to design/select colors for 3 prints of her collection, On Your Mark (she eventually talked them into a 4th print).  The process was tedious, took about a year, but she learned a lot. Paintbrush Studio Fabrics also requested that she create a quilt pattern and a quilt using her On Your Mark fabric collection. Her quilt, Gumdrops, was displayed at Quiltcon 2018 in Pasadena in Paintbrush Studio Fabrics’ booth and a free pattern is available on Simone’s website. Simone presented her beautiful quilts with the help of her daughter and friend, Elizabeth. Simone also provided 3 giveaways: 2 – Fat Quarters and 1 – Fat Eighth. The winners of the fat quarters were Christine and Cat and the winner of the fat eighth was Lynn. We look forward to all of Simone’s future successes.

Show and Share – Pat, Candy, Ginger, Kelley, and Lynn shared their amazing quilting creations.

Raffle Winners – Alisa Howe (General) and Lynn Hannah (Name Tag)

The meeting was adjourned at 3:58 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Becky Brekke

 

Minutes · Minutes General Board

June 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
June 26, 2018, 6:30 pm
JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts, Ontario, CA

The meeting was called to order at 6:27 pm by Laura Greene, with the following members in attendance: Laura Greene, Gayle Bennett, Jennifer Adams, Pat Klassen and Becky Brekke. Becky Brekke took minutes in the absence of Secretary Tricia Williams.

Old Business:
Committee Reports:
Programs
Cat was unable to attend and as a group we discussed the programs for July – October.
July meeting – The Spotlight Quilter Presentation will be by Simone Bradford on herself. She will also bring fabrics for purchase at her Pop-Up shop. Becky will post this event on FB and IG.
August meeting – Shawnee Miller will be giving her Thrilling Threads lecture. A flyer has prepared regarding Shawnee’s lecture on August 4 and her workshop on August 19. The flyer will be available at the flyer/advertisement table at the July meeting. Jen will post these events on the website after the July GM meeting. Becky will post these events on FB and IG. Currently, we still need 3 more people to sign up for the workshop in order to meet the minimum requirement. Jen will create a link on the website to register for the workshop.
September meeting – Song Title Challenge quilts will be revealed. Linda Rasmussen will once again critique our creations.
October meeting – Upcycle Sale at Mountain Shadows Clubhouse in Highland, CA.

VP Communications – Jen will update the Southern California Council of Quilt Guilds (SCCQG) with changes to the Executive Board and our PO Box address.
Jen will create & mail Thank You card to Natalie Barnes, Simone Bradford, and Shawnee Miller. Upon Tricia’s return, she will handle any mailing of Thank You cards going forward.
Jen will create laminated cards (Agree, Disagree, etc.) to be used during the general meeting Warm-Up session. Jen will send monthly reminders to Laura to send President’s blog post each month.

Treasurer – Gayle reported on our financial condition and we reviewed the bank balance for June. Gayle advised that the Guild opened a PO Box and the address is PO Box 2611, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91729.
Also discussed was that we should advise anyone paying for Guild fees via PayPal to send payment via the “Friends and Family” designation so that the Guild is not accessed service fees. Jen will create PayPal link on website.

Upcycle Event – A full page flyer has been created. Jen will email information to SCCQG for posting on their website. For printing purposes, the flyer will be condensed so that 2 fit per sheet. Once that is completed, Gayle will print them out for distribution. Suggested that we take the flyers to our local quilt shops for more exposure. Laura to email the flyer to nearby Guilds listed on the SCCQG’s website.

Welcome/Refreshments – Pat advised that Alisa will be bringing snacks but another person is also needed and Pat said that she would bring in snacks along with Alisa for the July GM.
Pat brought up the need for an assistant to help her run the Welcome Table and Refreshments as it is essentially two committees. As such, it was decided that the Welcome/Refreshments will be split into two committees: Welcome Committee and the Hospitality Hostess Committee (in lieu of Refreshments). Laura will contact Ruth Ann to see if she would like to assist Pat. Pat would then mentor Ruth Ann in all aspects of the Welcome & Hospitality Hostess. In the future, we would expect Ruth Ann and Pat to chair these committees. In the interim, the board and chairs agreed to rotate Welcome Table duties with Pat.

Raffle – Alisa has been appointed as the new Chairperson.

Charity – Jen will create a donation form for the Welcome Table for people to record their donations. This form will be a running list through the end of the year.

Membership – Becky will create a sign-in sheet for Guests only for the Welcome Table.

President – Laura will send a ‘Thank you for attending our Guild meeting’ email to new guests and a ‘Thank you for joining our Guild’ email to new members.

Review Bylaws. We agreed on the following changes:
Article VI: FINANCIAL ADMINISTRATION
Article VI Section 1 – No change
Article VI Section 2 – replace “February” with “March”
Article VI Section 3 – No change
Article VI Section 4 – Added the following sentence: “The Committee shall be established in the month of October.”
Article VI Section 5 – No change

New Business:
The Guild has been invited to exhibit at the Ontario Museum of History and Art, 225 Euclid Ave, Ontario, CA 91762, the last two (2) weeks of December 2018. More details to follow.
Open Nominating Committee chairperson position discussed. At the July BM, the duties for this position will be discussed and once agreed upon will be added to the Bylaws. The duties will be communicated at the August GM and the chairperson shall be appointed at the September BM.
Secretary shall be responsible to clean up the Google Drive shared folder at the end of the year. Will be discussed further upon Tricia’s return.
Next meeting – Monday, July 16 at 6:00 pm at JoAnn Fabric & Crafts, 4470 Ontario Mills Pkwy, Ontario, CA 91764 (Dinner beforehand at Chipotle Mexican Grill, 11334 Fourth St, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 at 5:15 pm.)

Meeting adjourned at 7:48 pm.

Tentative IEMQG General Meeting Agenda
July 7, 2018 – 2:00pm – 4:00pm
Community Center, Grand Terrace
22795 Barton Rd, Grand Terrace, CA 92313

1. Welcome – Warm-up (Cat)
a. “Fourth of July is the most important holiday of the year.”
b. Nominating Committee chairperson position open
2. Committee Reports (Cat)
a. Program Announcements
i. August meeting – Thrilling Thread class
ii. September meeting – Song Challenge, Linda Rasmussen to curate
3. Song Title Challenge (Gayle) – Song Title Challenge drawing during break
4. Block Lotto (Shelley) – Raffle for house block and share next Block Lotto… continue reading

Minutes · Minutes Monthly Meeting

June 2018 General Meeting Minutes

IEMQG General Meeting Minutes
June 2, 2018
Grand Terrace Community Center 22795 Barton Road, Grand Terrace, CA 92313

The meeting was called to order at 2:05 p.m. by Laura Greene, President.

Welcome – Warm-up

The Warm-up statement was “My fabric is organized well at my home.” Attendees grouped under the sign that best represented their response to that question – Strongly Agree, Agree, Slightly Disagree, and Strongly Disagree. After a few minutes of discussing the topic, Laura asked who mentioned “comic book boards” and there were four people, so Laura asked who most recently used boards to store fabric; it was Jennifer Adams, so she won the prize.

Because it is the two-year birthday of our guild, Laura Greene gave a brief history of the Inland Empire Modern Quilt Guild, which began with a small group called Friends of the Modern Quilt Guild.

Laura explained that the minutes which are posted on our website will not have any specific financial information because the minutes can be read by the public. Any member wishing to see the financial statements can do so by contacting our Treasurer, Gayle Bennett.

Committee Reports

Cat Wallace, VP of Programs, reported that the July Meeting program will be a presentation by our member, Simone Bradford, who will “spotlight” herself and her fabric designs. She will bring fat quarters for us to purchase. The August meeting program will be a lecture on using specialty threads, by Shawnee Miller. On June 10, we will be having a Sit and Sew at Mountain Shadows. Please let Tricia Williams know if you will be attending.

Gayle Bennet announced that if anyone hasn’t chosen a song title for the Song Challenge, she still has the bag of titles for them to draw from. Anyone who wants a different song can draw another one, for a $5.00 donation to the guild. The quilts will be presented at our September meeting. Linda Rasmussen has offered to curate the quilts for us.

Shelley Wardrop showed us samples of the house block for July’s block lotto. Patterns will be available on our website. The arrow block lotto entries were won by new member Ruthann Salera. (Gayle told her that we will expect to see them made into a finished quilt at our next meeting, but Ruthann knew she was kidding.)

Refreshments – Pat Klassen thanked Laura Greene for providing the birthday cake, and Allison Cutler for bringing beverages. Alisa Howe will bring refreshments to the July meeting.

Pat Klassen reported that were 28 members and 5 guests in attendance.

Laura Greene announced that the Thrilling Threads Workshop will be taught by Shawnee Miller during our August 19 Sit and Sew at Mountain Shadows. The workshop will be from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. Shawnee will provide fabric and threads for us to create a sampler using different types of threads. The cost of the workshop is $35. Our Sit and Sew will still be from 9:00 – 5:00, so we will be sewing and having lunch before the workshop.

Break – We visited and enjoyed birthday cake and beverages.

Meeting resumed at 2:50.

Laura Greene said that Natalie Barnes brought us each a copy of her book, A Modern Twist. Natalie said, “Well, I heard that this is a birthday celebration, so I brought gifts.”

Cat Wallace gave a lovely introduction to our speaker, Natalie Barnes of Beyond the Reef. Natalie’s interesting presentation included lots of beautiful quilts.

Show and Share – Members’ quilts were displayed and admired.

Raffles – Alisa Howe has agreed to take over the monthly raffles. The raffle winner chose from three sets of fat quarters.

Pat Klassen presented the name tag raffle winner with her prize.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:35 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Tricia Williams

Minutes · Minutes General Board

May 2018 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
May 23, 2018, 7:00 p.m.
Panda Inn, Ontario, CA

The meeting was called to order at 6:59 p.m. by Laura Greene, with the following members in attendance:  Laura Greene, Cat Wallace, Jennifer Adams, Gayle Bennett, Pat Klassen, and Tricia Williams.  Tricia Williams took minutes in the absence of Secretary Candace Kimball.

Old Business:

Committee Reports:

Cat Wallace, VP Programs

June meeting –Trunk Show by Natalie Barnes of Beyond the Reef.  Cat said that she spoke to Natalie who is excited to come to our meeting.  Cake will be served to celebrate our two-year anniversary.

July meeting – Tricia Williams, who was scheduled to do a Spotlight Quilter presentation, will be out of town and unable to attend.  Cat Wallace is scheduled to do a Transition Quilter presentation.  Cat will invite Simone Bradford to do a Spotlight Quilter Presentation on herself and possibly bring some of the fabric for us to buy.   If Simone is unable to do that, Cat will instead do her Nevertheless She Persisted speech that she did at the Upland Library earlier this year.

August meeting – Shawnee Miller will be giving her Thrilling Threads lecture.  Cat shared a flyer that she has prepared about Shawnee’s lecture on August 4 and her workshop on August 19.

September meeting – Song Title Challenge quilts will be revealed.  Linda Rasmussen has offered to once again critique our creations.

October meeting – Upcycle Sale at Mountain Shadows Clubhouse.  Jen will tell Becky that we offered to help her get items ready for the sale.

November meeting – Member University at Mountain Shadows Clubhouse.  Planned stations include:  MQG Website tutorial by Laura Greene; AccuQuilt Go! Fabric Cutter demonstration by Tricia Williams; Quick Curve Ruler demonstration by Pat Klassen, and possibly a machine binding lesson by Donna Gaston.

December meeting – Holiday Party at Mountain Shadows Clubhouse.  Additional details to follow.

After discussion, it was moved, seconded, and approved that Cat will contact Linda Sullivan to do a Colourwerx Trunk Show at our January 2019 meeting.

The February 2019 meeting needs to be a little shorter so that we can approve the annual budget.

Laura will contact Batty Lady for either February, April, or July 2019.  Cat will send contracts for all speakers. We agreed that we will have two challenges next year, which will be due in March and September.

 

VP Communications – No old business.  Tricia asked if the public can access our minutes on the website.  Jen said that our entire site can be accessed by anyone.  Gayle said that is the reason we do not put confidential items (such as account balances) in the minutes.  Jen said that if we decide it’s necessary in the future, certain areas of the website can be locked so that only members can access them.

 

Treasurer – Gayle reported on our financial condition and we reviewed the bank balance and projected income. Our main income producer will be the Upcycle Sale in October.  Laura mentioned that the MQG site has information about to organize a sale.

 

Welcome/Refreshments – Pat reported that Laura Greene will bring the birthday cake from Costco, Pat will pick up paper goods, and Allison is bringing drinks.

 

Raffle – No old business

 

Charity – Laura will remind Amy that at each meeting, we need a sheet at the Welcome Table for people to record their donations.

 

Membership – After the June meeting, Tricia will send the updated membership roster to Jen, who will send it out to all members requesting that they contact Tricia with any corrections.

 

President – Review Bylaws.  We agreed on the following changes:

Article V Section 1 – No changes

Article V Section 2 – At the end of the first sentence, add, “and may be a special meeting of the Executive Board.”

Article V Section 3 – No changes

Article V Section 4 – After first sentence, add “Members may exercise their right to examine the financial reports by contacting the Treasurer. “

Article V Section 5 – No changes

 

New Business:

There was no other new business.

 

Next meeting – June 26, 6:30 p.m. at Joann’s

 

Tentative IEMQG General Meeting Agenda
June 2, 2018 – 2:00pm – 4:00pm
Community Center, Grand Terrace
22795 Barton Rd, Grand Terrace, CA 92313

Welcome – Warm up
“My fabric is organized well at my home”
Happy Birthday – we are two years old.  Short history by Laura.
Minutes on website; finances available from treasurer
Committee reports
Program Annoucements – Cat Wallace:
June Sit and Sew at Mountain Shadows
July meeting
August meeting
Challenge – Gayle Bennett: Song Title Challenge drawing during break
Retreat waitlist
Block Lotto – Shelley Wardrop: Raffle for arrow blocks
July block lotto
Refreshments Sign up – Pat Klassen
Break:  Visit and snacks
Beyond the Reef – Natalie Barnes (announced by Cat)
Show and Share
Raffles: Fat Quarter Raffle & Name Tag Raffle – Pat Klassen
Adjourn

 

Respectfully submitted,
Tricia Williams