Minutes · Minutes General Board

July 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
July 17, 2019
Jennifer Adams’ Residence – Corona, CA

The meeting was called to order at 06:57 pm by Gayle, with the following members in attendance: Gayle, Jennifer, Cat, Path, Ruthann, Shelley and Simone

Old Business

Committee Reports:

Treasurer (Cat)

Bank Balance Report – Chase statement distributed along with a check register. Cat shared that there is still a consistent discrepancy in the balance reflected in the checking account statement and the Income and Expense Report.  The Income and Expense Report will be updated and saved to the Google shared drive. 

Fundraising (Gayle for Laura)

Fundraising: Sale/Craft Fair Events – Nite Owl Sale – July 25th – Gayle has paid the fee for the table, $20.  She will handle processing payments and reimburse the Guild once the sale is complete, less the table fee. Sale is free to enter and will be in Rancho Cucamonga at the Senior Center at Central Park on the corner of Milliken and Baseline. Pat, Cat and Gayle will help staff the booth.  The sale runs from 6-8:30pm.

Mountain Shadows, Highland – October 12th – Gayle said our Guild was invited to participate. Gayle mentioned that she will talk with Laura when she returns as she is worried that we may run out of items (craft/made) to sell with both sales in the 4th quarter. Since a commitment was extended, we will need to divide items that are made to allow participation in both craft sale events.

Kris Kringle Craft Fair, Ontario – December 4th – $15 fee for this event to participate, due in August.  Gayle will handle payment.  This event will be well attended and Gayle shared that the items most desired are pet-related.

Opportunity Quilt Discussion (Cat/All)

Cat shared that there is a benefits specialist, Joel Marcus she met recently at SCCQG. Joel offered to come purchase quilts made by the Guild for distribution through the Hospice locations. He spoke briefly at the SCCQG meeting that she recently attended.

Cat shared the latest timeline with everyone.  We are currently on schedule.  All half quarter blocks have been completed and returned.  Cat will solicit members to hold a small sit-and-sew or two to sew the blocks together. Pat will handle block placement as she has a good eye for design.  The group discussed options for maintaining a consistent ¼” seam through blocks pieced during the sit-and-sews by members.

The Board agreed that we will need to have a table to sell raffle tickets at Road one day during the conference; Saturday is preferred, but the day is determined by Road based on first come, first assigned.  Participating guilds must perform 20 hours white glove service per day each raffle quilt is displayed, Sunday is 10 hours per day.  Minimum shift is two hours. Ultimately our guild will need 10 people to do 2 hours each as we are hoping to get a Saturday slot. Gayle will email Sharon Chaffino about our opportunity quilt and will report back with the final dates for submission of the quilt (photo) and or volunteer hours (depending on the date we are given).

We discussed the opportunity sale tickets process – printing tickets as well as photo cards for the guild. Budget for the materials is $500; currently we are about $200 spent in fabric.  Pat shared that the full budget should be planned.  Ticket prices will be $1.00/each and $5.00/6-tickets.  We will not make the sale of tickets to the Guild membership mandatory, but rather encourage the importance of participation. Cat discussed reaching out to SCCQG about having a booth at one of their meetings this year as well as utilize any online promotion of our charity quilt. Ontario Museum (and Chaffey) and Kawanis Club may be options.

Programs (Shelley/All)

July – Christine Sharp – Riverside Main Library

Aug – Natalie Barnes for Aurifil with Pop-up Shop – Riverside Main Library

Sept – What Was I Thinking? – Riverside Main Library

October – Elizabeth Eastman Lecture – Cost? – Riverside Main Library

Nov – Member University (Christine/Slice & Dice, Cat/6 Minute Circle, Simone/Paper Piecing, Laura/TBD– Location- PENDING Casa Blanca (Jen will call to ask if even a possibility)

Dec – Holiday Party/ Sweet and Savory.  Food sign ups? Location – PENDING Casa Blanca

Jan – TENTATIVE – Workshop event with Elizabeth Eastman or Colleen Granger

Feb-

March-

Shelley mentioned she will be leaving in August.  We discussed the importance of working through the 2020 calendar to plan out activities/events.  Shelley mentioned we should also plan on doing a ‘fun event’ in January as we did last year with (Colorwerx). 

Westwind Community Center, Riverside Driver just west of Archibald (off 60) $65 fee plus, $20 per hour.  We could offset the cost for the center’s fee through workshop fees.  Shelley mentioned the Janet Goetske Center again as they may still be a viable option for no fee since we are ‘open to the public’. Shelley will try again to each Andre and Jen will help her if she can’t reach him. Last option is Colony High School’s city library location. They have a room that will fit about 12 people.  The room has large tables suitable for cutting, however, it won’t work well for larger groups.  They do not allow food, but the fee is $45 for the day. There is a small area to eat lunch outside for workshops.

Gayle shared that Aurafil/Natalie Barnes’ presentation is not free, fee is $200 plus mileage for the August meeting.  Shelley made a motion to approve the funds, Ruthann seconded the motion. Gayle will finalize the contract and save a copy in the shared drive.  Natalie mentioned that Aurafil will also bring a pop-up shop for the meeting/lecture along with swag bags.  We will be charging $5 for visitors for this event.  Jen will promote the event on social media and the website.

Charity Report (Rachel/Jessica sent to Gayle)

We donated to Paradise after the fires 14 quilts. Calicinto Ranch received 14 … continue reading

Minutes · Minutes Monthly Meeting

July 2019 General Meeting Minutes

July 6, 2019
Riverside Public Library
3581 Mission Inn, Riverside, CA 92501

The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Gayle Bennett, President.

Welcome – Gayle

The November retreat at Vina De Lestonnac is full with 22 members signed up. Final payment is due at the September meeting. However, if you are still interested, there is a waitlist. See Gayle to be added.

Exhibits

Road to California Atrium Exhibit

We will need 44 quilts per the show requirements and a picture of the quilt tops by the October meeting.  The photo will need to be in .pdf format, if you have any issues converting a jpeg to a .pdf document, feel free to send to Gayle and she will convert and submit the photo for you. Another option is to bring your quilt top to the October meeting, and Mike will photograph it for you.  Quilt requirements are as follows: minimum 72” long and a maximum 100” wide, must have a 4” sleeve, a label (quilt name, quilter’s name, date, etc), and modern (this is the Guild’s preference).  The show is looking for a variety of quilt styles and colors that best represent the IEMQG.

Chaffey Art Museum Exhibit

Mike has photographed all the quilts and taken panoramic shots as well. Quilt pick-ups will be Sunday, July 20th from 1-2 pm. Any quilts that have not been picked up by 2 pm, Gayle will take home with her.

Fundraising

The following fundraising events have been scheduled: 

July 25th Rummage Sale at the James Brulte Senior Center, 11200 Base Line Rd, Rancho Cucamonga.  Come after 6 pm, there is no meeting fee for non-members to shop.

Oct 12th Holiday Boutique at Mountain Shadows in Highland.

Dec 4th Kris Kringle Holiday Boutique at the Ontario Senior Center.

Please continue making fundraiser items. In September, Laura will do an inventory on what we have to sell. It comes as no surprise that dog related items are very popular and typically sell out, such as leashes, bandanas, clothes. The Guild has purchased hardware for the dog leashes, if you need some to complete your leashes, see a Board member. Also for the Kris Kringle event, children use this event to shop for their parents for Christmas, so we should be mindful of price points.

Committee Reports

Programs, Shelley

Shelley announced she will be resigning from her position as VP of Programs due to her imminent move to Northern California. If you are interested in taking over this position, please contact any Board member for additional information.

August 3rd: The featured presentation will be given by, Aurifil Ambassador, Natalie Barnes of Beyond the Reef.

September 7th: ‘What was I Thinking’ Fabric Share. This will be an interactive event, where members will bring fabric they’re not sure what to do with. They can also share, trade and/or give fabric away.

October 5th: Elizabeth Eastmond of OPQuilt will be the featured speaker. Topic of her presentation will be advised.

November 2nd: Member University

December 7th: Christmas Party

Charity, Rachel

Rachel has donated quilts that she will deliver to Calicinto Ranch this week. She also wants to set up a Sit and Sew to make lap quilts for seniors at Home Instead. These quilts do not need to be modern or fancy.  Looking for lap/wheel chair quilts about 36” x 40”. Candy said she would try to find some patterns for these. Also, it was mentioned that Streak of Sunshine quilts is a pattern that is available free online by googling the name that works good well for lap quilts. If anyone needs fabric, please reach out to Laura.

Block Lotto, Simone

There were many entries for the July Block Lotto, over 30 blocks for the winner – Shelley! Simone showed members examples of Fibo’s Sister for the Block Lotto for August/September and to be collected at the September meeting.  This next block is designed to make four blocks at a time using 16 improv strips. Please use warm colors and the borders should be low volume fabric. The block tutorial will be located on both the IEMQG website and Simone’s blog.

Christine superbly presented her transition from traditional to modern quilter. Right off the bat, Christine announced that she is a fabricaholic and uses quilting as an excuse to buy fabric. She started sewing in high school and in the summer of 1970, she made her first quilt with her mom’s fabric scraps, flannel was used as the batting and a percale sheet was used for the backing. Christine brought in that quilt, and unfortunately, the seersucker fabric used as since disintegrated. She took a break after that first quilt and ventured back to the world of quilting in the 1980’s when she took a class. She was still disappointed in the fabric choices, typically shades of blue and brown, whereas she was looking for oranges and yellow, or anything bright. In the 2000’s her coworkers convinced her to join a guild and soon after Christine became an Activity Chairperson for their guild’s challenges. A lot of the quilts shown were from her quilt challenges. She started finding more ‘fun’ fabrics, and discovered a love for improv and wonky type quilts. It didn’t take long for Christine to move into modern quilts, and quickly fell in love with black and white quilts, and now likes to focus on mini quilts featuring clean, simple and intricate details. The quilts Christine brought to present were amazing and innovative for their time, especially in a world full of traditional quilts. Thank you for a wonderful and colorful presentation, Christine! We enjoyed the journey through your world of color, improv, and wonky quilts!

Show and Shares immediately followed Christine’s presentation; 8 members shared their wonderful creations.

Raffles

Winners of the fat quarter and name tag raffles were presented with their prizes.

Attendance

There were 20 members in attendance.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:20 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,… continue reading

Minutes · Minutes General Board

June 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
June 19, 2019
Held at the home of Shelley Wardrop – Riverside, CA

The meeting was called to order at 6:04 pm by Gayle, with the following members in attendance:  Shelley, Cat, Jennifer, Laura, Simone, Ruthann, and Becky.

Gayle welcomed everyone to the meeting and wanted to start right away as we had a full agenda tonight.

Old Business:

Committee Reports:

Treasurer, Cat

Bank balance reviewed; Cat shared cash available for the Guild’s use and gave out handouts, Income & Expense and check register reports. She had questions about the frequency of our website operation billing and renewals. Jen advised some bills were yearly and others bi-yearly.  Jen said she would email Cat a list of the website related billings and renewal dates.

Cat told us that we have about $200 left for program (speaker) money this year. However, after our July fundraiser sale, she will announce how much we made and add that money to the program fund and we may be able to have enough for yet another speaker.

Fundraising, Laura

Laura said the ‘List of Items’ needed that she put together and announced at last month’s general meeting was a great motivator for members to start making more craft fair items. We need to continue posting on Facebook as interest has grown and people are making the items and posting them.  We still need baby quilts and table runners. The list will be updated again as required.

Craft fairs scheduled are:

July, 2019: Rummage sale ($10)

Oct 12, 2019: Holiday Boutique at Mountain Shadows Community Center from approx 10am-4pm (no charge)

Dec 4, 2019: Kris Kringle at the Ontario Senior Center from 8am-12pm ($15)

Ruthann mentioned that we should keep in mind an event in her neighborhood for April 2020, the last Saturday of the month for their yearly neighborhood garage sales on Wood St (south of downtown Riverside). We could set up tables at her home to sell craft fair items.

Next month for the rummage sale we will be selling fabrics: fat quarters, 1/2 yards, yards, etc. Other leftover items from the Upcycle sale from last year will be used for this event and the holiday boutiques. We will meet on July 13th Jen’s house to package up the fabric and price them. Time to be advised.

Opportunity Quilt, Cat

Cat handed out the Opportunity Quilt Project Timeline sheet to everyone. She asked if we should put forth the extra effort to have the Opportunity Quilt completed by the proposed December 2019 timeline. It was agreed upon that the schedule Cat put together looks do-able. Laura motioned that we go forward with the opportunity quilt to be completed by December 2019 and be raffled off in December 2020. Shelley seconded the motion, and everyone present was in favor.  Motion passed.

Cat will donate the batting; but she still needs backing. $200 was budgeted but the Board can review again if more funds are required.  Once the HSTs are returned to Cat she will make a design wall and start designing the blocks with Pat’s assistance.  There will be several sit and sews scheduled in the coming months to assist in finishing the quilt top.

It was decided that we would not need to purchase a quilt stand at this time.  Members will need to pitch in and show and take the Opportunity Quilt to different guilds, Road to California and sell tickets. Ticket price discussion will be tabled at a later date.

Cat and Gayle explained that another reason for pushing forward on the Opportunity Quilt is that we would like to show the quilt and sell tickets at Road to California 2020. In order to do so, we need to complete the required forms prior to December 1, 2019 (or you forfeit your table) and the guild must volunteer 20 hours (we figured, 10 members for 2 hours) of white glove service each day the quilt is displayed.  Please go to http://road2ca.com/raffle-quilt-s.html for additional information.

Dora Cary Workshop Issue

Cat led the discussion on the Dora Cary mishap where she was scheduled for a lecture and workshop at Mountain Shadows without anyone recalling/realizing there was workshop portion until a couple of weeks prior to the scheduled general meeting date. No one could find any minutes on record that the Board voted to hire Dora for a lecture and workshop. Cat contacted and emailed Dora and fortunately, Dora was very understanding about cancellation of the workshop. We came to the conclusion that this happened in the transition of positions from Cat to Trish and then again from Trish to Shelley.  No blame placed on anyone, the board as a group was at fault. We need to learn from this mistake and move forward and ensure that it doesn’t happen again. 

Jen will continue to work on an Activity Calendar to be added to the website.  Shelley had a couple items/columns she would like added.

Programs

July: Christine will be the Transitional Quilt speaker. She advised that she will need quilt stands and expects her presentation to run about 75 minutes.

August: Natalie Barnes, Aurifil Ambassador will be the featured speaker. Will need to provide Natalie with an estimate of how many people will be attending the August meeting for swag bags and her requisition form for Aurifil. Gayle will see if Natalie can help obtain deeply discounted or free items from Aurifil with appropriate recognition for the retreat. Dora Cary also gave the guild many patterns which are in Pat’s possession for either the retreat or raffle baskets.

September: ‘What was I Thinking Fabric Share’. This will be an interactive event, where members will bring fabric they’re not sure what to do with. They can also share, trade and/or give fabric away.

October: Shelley to reach out to Elizabeth Eastmond to see if she is available to be our featured speaker for the October meeting. If so, the Board will decide on which of the following lectures we’d like her … continue reading

Minutes · Minutes Monthly Meeting

June 2019 General Meeting Minutes

June 1, 2019
Grand Terrace Community Center
22795 Barton Rd, Grand Terrace, CA 92313

The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Gayle Bennett, President.

Welcome

Gayle welcomed everyone to the IEQMG’s 3rd birthday celebration! Gayle reminisced about the guild’s beginning as a friendship group that eventually turned into the IEMQG shortly thereafter. A few of the founding members are still active in the guild today. 

The November retreat at Vina De Lestonnac is full. However, if you are still interested, there is a waitlist. See Gayle to be added to it.

Gayle announced the meeting location for the next two months will be at the Main Library in Riverside (3581 Mission Inn Ave).

Committee Reports:

Raffles/Fundraising/Exhibits, Laura

A raffle chairperson is needed.  We have someone for next month, but we need someone permanently going forward. Please contact Laura or any board member if interested.

Our quilts are hanging in the Chaffey Museum.  There are over 40 quilts displayed as well as a rocking chair by Alison and a chair by Simone.  We received more quilts than the space allowed, as such quilts were returned from members that submitted multiple projects. Everyone that submitted one project was displayed. Laura phoned members whose extra quilts were not being displayed and had the quilts at the meeting for pick-up.  On Sunday, June 2nd there is an artist’s reception at the museum from 2-4 pm.

We are exhibiting at Road to California in January 2020. The quilts will be displayed in the atrium of the main exhibit hall. The quilts must be a minimum of 72″ long and a maximum of 100″ wide. Quilts must have a 4″ sleeve. A photo of the quilt tops will be required in October. Additional details to follow.

The following fundraising events have been scheduled: 

Oct 12th Holiday Boutique at Mountain Shadows in Highland; 1 table

July 25th local rummage in Rancho Cucamonga; 1 table

Dec 4th Kris Kringle Holiday Boutique at the Ontario Senior Center; 1 table

Opportunity Quilt, Cat

A very enthusiastic Cat, asked for volunteers to donate their time and talents to the first ever IEMQG Opportunity Quilt by making half square triangles (HST).  Cat put together kits with directions for HSTs; see Cat at break or after the meeting to sign up and take a HST kit home with you today. Assembled HSTs are due at the July meeting.

Block Lotto, Simone

Simone showed members several of the volume blocks called The I.E. (The Improv Effect) together to show what they could look like as a quilt.  The blocks will be collected at the July meeting.  The block tutorial is located on both the IEMQG website and Simone’s blog.

Attendance, Ruthann

There were 28 members in attendance and 5 guests.

Programs, Shelley

Shelley introduced our featured speaker, Dora Cary of Orange Dot Quilts.  Dora took us on a journey from herself as a small child in communist Romania in the 70’s through 2008, when she made her first quilt (and became a US citizen). Her schooling and degrees earned in Romania, aided her greatly in becoming a pattern designer. Dora prides herself on making patterns easy and less complicated.  Many of Dora’s techniques are non-traditional, and this led her to start teaching her techniques in 2017.  Everyone thoroughly enjoyed her presentation of her quilts as indicated by the oohs and aahs heard many times. Dora ended her presentation with a series of 5 questions about her journey. Winners were recipients of her patterns and goodies.  If you’d like to find out more about Dora and her products, visit orangedotquilts.com

Refreshments (cake!) and shopping immediately followed Dora’s presentation.

Raffles

Winners of the raffles were presented with their prizes.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:10 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Becky Brekke

Minutes · Minutes General Board

May 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
May 4, 2019

The meeting was called to order at 5:00 pm by Gayle, with the following members in attendance: Shelley, Jennifer, Laura, Ruthann, Pat and Becky.

 Old Business:
Committee Reports:

President – Gayle

Retreat

It was decided that a committee needed to be formed for this year’s retreat. Jen will chair, and committee members will be Gayle, Shelley and Cat. Pat will be available to assist on an as needed basis only. Becky will be the snack coordinator. Need to decide the price per person for snacks – $10, $15 or $20?

We should contact sewing/quilting related companies to solicit for donations for the retreat goodie bags and raffles. We will ask Natalie Barnes if we can buy some product at a discounted price and/or perhaps she can give us some freebies. Jen has a 2 fat quarter basket pattern to include in the goodie bags that quilters can make at the retreat if they wish, maybe even as a group activity.

As of the May general meeting, 16 members are confirmed. Estimate capacity at 22 members. We need to provide a room count and we should be conservative as the room quantity will be included in the contract. We’ll require final payment from members by the September meeting. Gayle will confirm if ironing boards and irons will be available in the work room.

VP Programs – Shelley

June: Dora Cary from Orange Dot Quilts will be the featured presenter for the birthday meeting.

July: Christine will be the Transitional Quilt speaker.

August: Natalie Barnes, Aurifil Ambassador will be the featured speaker. Will need to provide Natalie with an estimate of how many people will be attending the August meeting for her requisition to Aurifil.

September: Elizabeth Eastmond did not put us on her calendar for a workshop on September 19th and now she is unavailable. Need to determine an alternate date for a workshop.

VP Communications – Jennifer

Jen suggested adding a program matrix showing which would track what activities are going on each month, such as speaker, program, workshop, sit and sew, etc. as a quick reference. We would keep it updated and post on the website.

Also discussed our current social media content and how to have members be more involved.  Kelley did a great job reaching out to members who weren’t on the guild’s page on Facebook and helped facilitate getting them to join our page.

Fundraising / Raffles / Exhibits – Laura

A fundraising committee is required immediately. Laura provided a list of priority action items:

an itemized list/inventory of what has already been donated and to determine how more items will be needed; a pricing list; sign-up sheet for members to work the craft fair; sit and sew dates dedicated to making craft fair items; and fabric to be cut and made into kits. Jen volunteered her home for a sit and sew.

Discussed and clarified that at this time, we will do a one day; one event only.  Some events/venues that were mentioned: Redlands Market Night, Birches, The Village Venture, Pomona Fairgrounds (car and home shows), Festival of Trees in Riverside. Laura suggested registering as a vendor on www.fairsandfestivals.net for access to local craft fairs (event details, contact info, website, application, etc). The fee is $35 for one year to join.

The best option, however, is to participate in a local rummage sale in July.  The fee is reasonable for a table to sell our craft fair items. We will meet on June 15th at Laura’s home to package up the sale items.

Chaffey Museum of Art – We have approximately 31 quilts for the exhibit, ‘Splashes of Color and Space’ running from May 23 – July 20, 2019.  No size restrictions but quilts are required to have a standard four-inch sleeve. There is still time to submit a quilt to the museum on May 18th and 19th.

For the Road to California Atrium Exhibit, the quilts need to be a minimum of 72” long x a maximum 100” wide. The quilts will also require a standard four-inch sleeve.

Block Lotto

Discussed the progress of block lotto for the year thus far.

Membership – No new business

Secretary – No new business

Charity – No new business

Welcome/Refreshments – No new business

New Business:

Lead Cards

Gayle is working on obtaining 4×6 lead cards for the guild. The cards will have a photo of a modern quilt or two, IEMQG logo and our mission statement on the front, and on the back will contain website info, etc. The front will be glossy and the back will be matte so that it can be written on easily. Mike will design the cards and Jen will request quotes for printing of the cards.

Opportunity Quilt

Cat has found a pattern that she will modify for the Opportunity Quilt and present to us at a later date. It was discussed that we could schedule Sit and Sew solely dedicated to sew blocks. In this way it would be a controlled environment where Cat will provide specific instructions and fabrics. It was also mentioned to have a dedicated person to square up the blocks for uniformity. Cat will longarm the quilt at no cost to the guild.

Sit and Sew Location Options:

  • Shelley will contact Cotton Gin/Redlands Sewing Center.
  • Jen will contact Quilter’s Cocoon in Riverside.
  • Gayle will contact her local police department to see if their conference room is available.

Bylaws:

It was brought up that should look into changing the bylaw concerning guest fees. Specifically, Section 1, “Visitors may attend one meeting, free of charge. Any meetings thereafter, $5 will be charged.” If the visitor’s first meeting is one in which there is a paid speaker, then a $5 fee shall apply. We will need to have a formal motion or discuss further at our next meeting.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be June 18th at 6 pm at Shelley’s home.

The meeting … continue reading

Minutes · Minutes Monthly Meeting

May 2019 General Meeting Minutes

IEMQG General Meeting Minutes
May 4, 2019
Riverside Public Library
3581 Mission Inn Ave, Riverside, CA 92501

 

The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Gayle Bennett, President.

Welcome

Gayle proudly announced that our guild won one of the Road 2 California guild participation challenge! She assured us the prize money will be put to good use. She also informed us about the Seven Sisters Quilt Show on June 29th-30th in San Luis Obispo.  For more information be sure to go to http://www.sevensistersquiltshow.org/

Gayle reminded members that with your paid membership to the guild, you also become a member of the national MQG. Be on the lookout for an email from them with details on how register on their website. One of the perks of membership is the access to the free pattern library. Be sure to check it out.

Gayle was excited to inform the membership that we nabbed a spot at the Vina De Lestonnac Retreat in Temecula for this year’s retreat! The retreat will be Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, November 11th, 12th and 13th, starting at 10 am on Monday and ending at 2 pm on Wednesday.  We will be able to accommodate approximately 22 quilters.  Prices for the retreat are as follows: Single room; $386.00;
Double room: $286.00; Triple room: $236.00; and Day Commuters: $33 per day includes lunch (add $18 to stay for dinner). A $100.00 deposit is due at the time of sign up, which can be paid via PayPal, check or cash.  Additional details to follow in the coming months.

After the meeting, Gayle invited members to attend the Executive Board meeting at Shelley’s home.

Committee Reports

Programs, Shelley
June 1st: Our birthday meeting! There will be cake and lots of treats.  The featured presentation will be given by Dora Cary of Orange Dot Quilts.  The meeting location for this event will be in Grand Terrace.

July 6th: Transitional speaker will be Christine.

August 3rd: The featured presentation will be given by, Aurifil Ambassador, Natalie Barnes of Beyond the Reef.

Charity, Rachel
We are still in need of charity quilts for adults, seniors, teens, and children. We have new IEMQG quilt labels. See Rachel for a label and please attach them to your donated quilts.

Fundraising/Exhibits, Laura
Laura announced she had made up more quilt kits for either a charity quilts or craft fair item. She also had fabric for a flash sale.  She also brought in post card flyers for the Chaffey Museum Exhibit on May 23rd and encouraged everyone to take a stack and share.  If you didn’t bring in your quilt to show at the exhibit, you can still drop them off at the museum on May 18th and 19th.

Membership, Ruthann
If anyone has any issues registering with the MQG, please contact Ruthann.

Block Lotto, Simone
Simone showed members examples of low volume blocks called The I.E. (The Improv Effect) for the Block Lotto for May/June and to be collected at the July meeting.  The block tutorial will be located on both the IEMQG website and Simone’s blog.

After a short break, Kim superbly presented “Community and Creativity, a History of Women and Quilting”.  Kim gave a short biography of herself: daughter for an antique dealer; lover of all things old; Art History major; ‘American Patchwork’ was the title of her thesis.  Kim took us on a quilting journey through the centuries starting in the 17th century to current time. It was amazing to hear how quilting has transformed the lives of women throughout the ages. Kim taught us to see how quilting became more than just making quilts for bed covers; it was a way to express social concerns, record personal accounts and make political statements. A huge thanks to Kim for an outstanding presentation.

Show and Shares immediately followed Kim’s presentation; 7 members shared their wonderful creations.

Raffles
Winners of the Block Lotto, fat quarter, and name tag raffles were presented with their prizes.

Attendance: There were 24 members in attendance and 5 guests.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:15 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Becky Brekke

Minutes · Minutes General Board

April 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
April 17, 2019
JoAnn Fabrics and Crafts, Ontario, CA 91764

The meeting was called to order at 6:10 pm by Gayle, with the following members in attendance: Cat, Shelley, Laura, Simone and Becky.

Old Business:

Committee Reports:

President – Gayle
Retreat
Gayle confirmed that the Vina De Lestonnac Convent (aka the Nunnery) in Temecula is available Monday through Wednesday, November 11-13th for the guild’s second annual retreat. In order to formerly reserve the Nunnery, a $250 deposit is required, when the paperwork is submitted by Gayle. Note, final payment isn’t due until the day we check in. Ten days before the retreat, they require a final head count. Information obtained is as follows: 15 members is the minimum required to have the dedicated work room. Although, the maximum number of members the room can hold is 25, 20 would most comfortable. Check-in is 10 am on Monday and room check out is 11 am but we still have the workroom until 2 pm. There are 12 bedrooms available, with pricing as follows: Triple Occupancy $226/person; Double Occupancy $276/person; Single Occupancy $376/person; Day Commuter $33/day. If there are any dietary restrictions, they will do their best to accommodate you. Sign-ups will be available at the May meeting. In order for members to reserve their spot, they need to provide a $100 deposit at time of sign-up. Remainder of payment due at August meeting. Discussed an upcharge for Jen to create cute retreat favors – $10/person?? Jen – please let us know if you’d be willing to do this again and if $10/person is sufficient. Also, discussed briefly future retreat locations in Big Bear and Fallbrook.

Meeting Location
Consensus at the April general meeting was that everyone liked the room at the Main/Mission Inn library. Parking is an issue, but not enough to deter attendance it was determined. We do have to set up and put away chairs at ever meeting, but as a guild we are used to it and everyone has no problem pitching in to help. Last month the library did not charge us the $20 room fee as we did not use the kitchen. We will look into finding out if we can use the room without a fee going forward. We discussed if we should stay in Grand Terrace for the summer months of June, July and August, or stay at the Main/Mission Inn library, and how we felt the change of locations could affect guild attendance. Other suggestions were for Simone to check into the Janet Goeske Center again and for Shelley to look into facilities provided by Riverside Park & Recreation. After our discussions, Laura made a motion to have all general meetings going forward at the Main/Mission Inn library, and thus officially changing the meeting location from Grand Terrace to Riverside. Cat seconded the motion. Becky will reserve the room for as far out as allowable. Shelley, told us that as a token of the Guild’s appreciation to the library, perhaps members could donate quilting related books at the end of the year. Something we should look into further and announce at a future meeting.

Road to California
Gayle proudly announced that the Guild won one of the $500 prize money for guild attendance!! She will inform members of this exciting news at the May meeting.

VP Programs – Shelley
Kim will be presenting “Community and Creativity, a History of Women and Quilting”. A projector and computer is needed for Kim’s presentation for the May meeting, which Laura will bring. Dora Cary from Orange Dot Quilts will be the featured presenter for the June birthday meeting. And Christine will be the Transitional Quilter for July.

Gayle brought up the possibility of having Natalie Barnes, who is a new brand ambassador for Aurafil, to present a free lecture and trunk show, for our August meeting.

Cat noted that Sarah Goer (one of the standouts at SCCQG’s Meet the Teachers event) will be at the Hi Desert Quilt Guild in Ridgecrest, CA, on March 5th and 6th, 2020. We were thinking to possibly have her be our March presenter on March 7th with a workshop on the 8th? Or combine both in one day?

Tentative Member University presenters:
Improv square pieces/emotions – Laura
Paper piecing – Simone
6 minute circle – Cat
Shelley will ask Lynn Hannah to provide a demonstration of her choice.

Treasurer – Cat
Cat discussed the bank balance and confirmed reconciliation of the account. Cat confirmed the MQG dues have been paid. Discussed breaking out the fundraising lines on the cash flow report to have a better idea of how much each fundraising activity is bringing in. Currently, Cat has been placing comments in the line items to describe the income source, but having a line item for each fundraiser activity might be a better solution.

Fundraising / Raffles / Exhibits – Laura
Laura will bring an opportunity basket and new fabric kits to the May meeting. She will also have a table set up to collect boutique fundraiser items. Worthy items will be shown during the Show and Share portion of the meeting. She is also bringing more donated fabric for a flash sale.

Chaffey Museum of Art – Modern quilts will be collected at the May meeting. Laura will have the forms required to accompany the quilts being collected available at the meeting. The exhibit, ‘Splashes of Color and Space’ runs from May 23 – July 20, 2019. 40-50 of any size quilts will be needed. In addition, there will be pedestals available to display, other modern objects. Simone agreed to exhibit her chair she shared with the guild last year.

Debby Winter from Road to California, contacted Laura about featuring guild member quilts in the breeze way for R2CA next year, 2020. Laura immediately said yes. We don’t have many details, but have determined the quilt size needs to be a twin or larger and of course, modern. Further details to follow in the coming … continue reading

Minutes · Minutes Monthly Meeting

April 2019 General Meeting Minutes

IEMQG General Meeting Minutes
April 6, 2019
Riverside Public Library
3581 Mission Inn Ave, Riverside, CA 92501

 

The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Gayle Bennett, President.

Welcome

Gayle began the meeting by thanking everyone for coming to the new meeting at this new location. She asked for thoughts on the room. Although the room was nice and fit the guild’s needs, she wondered if parking would be an issue.  Gayle also mentioned that we secured this room at no cost for this month. She asked the group if we should keep this location for our May meeting.  Members decided that although parking may be challenging that we couldn’t pass up the opportunity of a room at no charge.

Gayle reminded everyone of the Board Meeting on Wednesday, April 17 at 6 pm at JoAnn’s in Ontario. At that time, we will discuss in further depth, our meeting location situation. Also, that the SCCQG’s ‘Meet the Teachers’ event is on Saturday, April 13.  Gayle and Cat will be attending and to contact them if you wished to go and/or carpool.  Lastly, the members were reminded to bring in their quilts for the Chaffey Art Museum exhibit to the May meeting.

Gayle announced that Shelley Wardrop has volunteered to be the VP of Programs until she retires and moves up North.  We look forward to having Shelley on board! The May program will be a Women’s History presentation by Kim.

Committee Reports

Rachel, Charity

Rachel informed the group that quilt donations have been light thus far this year. She reminded us that our charities are YouthHope for teens and Calicinto Ranch for 7-12 year olds. She said like us to focus on donation quilts for Home Instead, seniors, towards the end of the year.

Jessica, Fundraising

Jessica showed us more examples of handmade items that members could make & donate for the boutiques planned this year: mug rugs, tissue covers, dog leashes, dish towels, bags, crocheted jar openers, crocheted dish cloths, eyeglass holders, and luggage tags.  Please bring in your finished items to either Jessica or Laura.

Ruthann, Membership

Ruthann announced we had 20 members and 1 guest in attendance.

Simone, Block Lotto

Simone showed members examples of 2 blocks for the Block Lotto due at the May meeting called Mountain View.  The pattern is located on both the IEMQG website and Simone’s blog.

After a short break, the Board Game quilts were curated by Cat with help by Gayle. Nine (9) quilts were submitted for curation. Cat did a wonderful job curating the quilts, taking time to praise the quilting, binding, and trying to guess the board game inspiration behind each quilt. Afterwards, each quilter, explained what we needed to know about their quilt: inspiration, interpretation, and construction.

Show and Shares immediately followed the Board Game challenge presentation.

Raffles – Winners of the fat quarter and name tag raffles were presented with their prizes.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:50 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Becky Brekke

Minutes · Minutes General Board

March 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
March 2, 2019
La Sierra Library – 4600 La Sierra Avenue, Riverside 92505

 

The meeting was called to order at 12:34 pm by Gayle, with the following members in attendance: Gayle, Laura, Jen, Pat, Simone, and Cat

Old Business – Committee Reports:

Treasurer – Cat

MQG National dues have not been paid yet. Cat will pay the dues this afternoon for the 45-member threshold at a rate of approximately $660 (previously authorized for payment by the Executive Board). The Board reviewed outstanding members for 2019 payment.

Bank balance reviewed; Cat shared cash available for the Guild’s use.

VP Programs – Board (Trish not present)

Gayle shared that the Hive is no longer offering an overnight option; day retreat events only. We are going to still looking for a location for our next retreat. More discussion to take place at the April Board meeting.

Trish is leaving and Gayle discussed possibilities for a replacement. We are planned out for events through October. We discussed the possibility of inviting Aurafil to a future meeting. Linda Rasmussen will be coming in April for our Board Game Challenge. May is Kim is doing a Spotlight Quilter presentation.  June is the birthday event with Dora Kari. Christine Sharp is confirmed for July for Transition Quilter. The Guild will do a Membership Trunk Show in August featuring old and new. September will be another guild challenge; details to be finalized at a future board meeting and announce to the Guild in May. The group discussed the gift card for Linda’s work this past year.  We will be providing her with a card that Jen will put together as her involvement warranted a more personalized touch and she will be receiving a gift card also.

Cat offered to help manage the VP of Programs duties until a replacement is finalized.  She will reach out to Dora Kari of Orange Dot to solidify her contract and participation for our birthday celebration meeting in June.

VP Communications – No new business

Secretary – No new business; Becky on vacation and Jennifer supporting in her absence

Fundraising / Exhibits – Laura

Donations – We received a very generous fabric donation to the Guild by Jan Rosenthal from Apple Valley. This fabric will be used for charity and fundraising items. The fabric donation was sorted into kits. Some of the fabric is more floral and traditional in nature. Laura provided a preview of the kits she’s put together with the massive amount of supplies she has received.  Kits have been numbered and will be distributed and tracked to members that wish to make items for the fundraiser efforts. This was just a small look at what was donated; storage is divided between Gayle and Laura at approximately 12 boxes in total.

Hardware – Dog leash swivel clips have been purchased by the Guild and will be provided to members that are interested in making items.  The items given out will be tracked and logged to keep track of the disbursements to the membership and make sure items are returned in advance of the sale event.

Upland Library Event – Laura has cards/pins to mark items donated for the upcoming Upland Library. This Sunday afternoon at 2pm Laura will be going along with Pat and Gayle to put the quilts up in the library. Tuesday, March 5th at 6pm Laura will be doing the talk about Visionary Women in the Brodie Room. There will be about a dozen quilts on display.  Quilts will need to be removed on April 3rd from the Library and returned to members on April 6th.

Chaffey Exhibit – Gayle mentioned keeping track of the quilts received for the Upland Library event to see if we can use any for the Chaffey exhibit.  The room is 15,000 linear inches; we are hoping to get enough quilts to fill the space.

New Business:

April EB Meeting – The Board discussed the April meeting date/time; the group confirmed the next Board meeting for Wednesday, April 17th 6:00pm at JoAnn Fabric & Crafts in Ontario.  We will meet prior for dinner at a nearby location

SCCQG – Gayle discussed the meet the teacher event with SCCQG April 13th from 9am-2pm in Carson. Gayle will carpool and we all agreed that a group will attend to review possible speakers for future presentations.

April Board Meeting Agenda Items:

Review of Duties – All (Jen to bring hand-outs for everyone)

Chaffey Art Museum Call for Quilts – Laura

April General Meeting Agenda:

Challenge with Linda to Curate – Jessica will coordinate and oversee the arrangement of the quilts

The meeting was adjourned at 1:20 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Jennifer Adams, in absence of Becky Brekke, Secretary

 

Minutes · Minutes Monthly Meeting

March 2019 General Meeting Minutes

IEMQG General Meeting Minutes
March 2, 2019
La Sierra Library – 4600 La Sierra Avenue, Riverside 92505

 

The meeting was called to order at 2:02 pm by Gayle Bennett, President.

Welcome & Announcements:

Gayle welcomed everyone to the new location.  She solicited all members to provide feedback regarding their opinions about the La Sierra space for future consideration.  She also advised all members that we will be at the Main Mission Library location for April and May.  Free parking is available on Saturdays near the library.  The community room where we will be meeting is on the second level; they do have an elevator to aid in those bringing items upstairs. We are hoping to finalize a more permanent location in the near future as Grand Terrace’s scheduling issues have become problematic for our guild.

Membership – Membership renewal reminder; please pay for any outstanding 2019 dues.  If you have any questions, please see Gayle or one of the members of the Executive Board.

VP of Programs Vacancy – Gayle announced that Trish will be moving away and no longer able to serve as VP of Programs.  She asked the members if anyone might be interested in filling this important role.  We are a collaborative group so the role is important, but has lots of support.  Gayle shared that in April, SCCQG on Saturday, April 13th will be the annual ‘Meet the Teachers’ event in Carson at the Convention Center.  The event is free unless you would like to purchase a box lunch for $15. More information is available on the SCCQG website.  She extended an invitation to the guild’s membership if anyone would like to attend. This is the best way for our guild to find speakers and determine future programs for the guild.

Ice Breaker – Laura facilitated the activity for the meeting – “I always label my quilt when I’m done, because it should always be done that way.” The ‘correct’ answer Laura said was the Strongly Disagree (2 member group) as there are truly no rules in modern quilting.

Guild Business:

Annual Budget Presented – Cat shared the results of the internal audit completed successfully by Marilyn. The annual projected budget was shared.  We have slightly amended a few of the numbers based on the annual membership dues collected. Cat shared some additional estimates for additional income received through guest fees and raffles. We will also still fall for national MQG dues under the 45 membership category.  The dues to SCCQG have been paid for our dues and annual insurance. Other incidental fees such as bank fees (PayPal), meeting space fee, website, fundraiser expenses and supplies along with our post office box annual fee. Christine moved to approve the budget, Simone seconded the motion. Motion was approved.

April Game Challenge Quilt – Gayle reminded everyone that next month is the ‘Game Challenge’ quilt program.  We will have Linda Rasmussen out again to curate the piece, however, any members that would rather just display their piece and not have Linda review them is also fine.  We will provide sign-in for members that Linda will curate. We look forward to seeing what everyone creates!

Fundraising and Exhibits – Laura shared the generous donation provided by a former contact from two years ago to the guild. She has put together ‘kits’ for members to check-out and complete quilts or projects with the materials. There is a small box with index cards for you to complete – indicate the number of the kit you are taking and what you think you will do with the materials. We are encouraging you to take fabric and bring something back – a month or three months is fine, but we do need your help to make items for our guild’s fundraising events this year! We may spend time when the projects are turned in to determine if some may be better suited for charity rather than for sale through the fundraiser. Laura also discussed the Upland Library event in March and the Chaffey exhibit in April and the call for quilts. Laura is doing the Women’s History Event this year on March 5th at 6:00pm at the Upland Library. The Chaffey Exhibit is coming up and quilts need to be brought in to the May meeting.  The exhibit there will run from May 23rd to July 21st.  Quilts will be returned in August.  The theme is ‘Splashes of Color and Shape’.

Gayle shared that our guild has been contacted by the Road to California to ask if we can help provide ‘modern’ quilts for display in the lobby of the Ontario Convention Center next year. We are looking for our members to provide quilts for this special display.  We will continue to remind everyone about this wonderful opportunity over the next few months.

Break: Visit & Snacks – Mmmmm, yummy rice krispy treats! 

Program:

Transition Quilter – Allison Cutler shared her quilting journey from her first mini-quilt to her current evolution to a modern quilter.

Block Lotto:

April/May Block Lotto Pattern – Simone shared the next round of Block Lotto with the guild.  The pattern is called ‘Mountain View’ and it’s created using a paper pieced pattern and jelly roll pieces (or make your own 2” strips). A link to the pattern will be posted on the website and also on social media.

Raffles:

Block Lotto Drawing – Simone conducted the drawing – Allison won the ‘Skipping Stones’ block.

General Raffles – Pat conducted the drawing for nametag participation as well as the charity drawing for the fat quarter bundle.

Show & Share

Announcements & Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 4:14 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Jennifer Adams, in absence of Becky Brekke, Secretary