July Block Lotto (Block of the Month)

Umbrella Party! Even in sunny California, we can appreciate an adorable umbrella.

The lotto will be drawn for these blocks at our August meeting.

Donna made a wonderful inspiration board, as usual.

 

When finished, here is a taste of what they look like. So cute, right?

 

June Block Lotto

If you’re looking for a fast and easy block, you’re home! Get it?

Learning Opportunity

INSPIRED MODERN IMPROVISATIONAL DESIGN With Allyson Allen

This workshop will challenge you to make your next quilt truly your own. No patterns means no two will be a like. Some are twists on traditional blocks. You’ll also practice sewing narrow seams.

SUPPLY LIST

  • Sewing machine
  • Scissors, pins, thread to match background fabric, a rotary cutter
  • 12″ or longer ruler, mat (a longer ruler and mat will work best)

FABRIC

  • Two yards of a solid background fabric
  • Four to six fat quarters (2 that contrast, others that coordinate with the background)
  • 1-8″ square of black or grey
  • Any of the fabrics can be very small scale prints that read as solids

For the workshop students should bring cotton fabrics. They should not worry about trying to match the fabrics in the sample quilt. If participants are curious, I only quilt upholstery weight silk and satin, not dress weight. I will have sample swatches in class.

Sponsored by Citrus Belt Quilters

  • Thursday, June 29
  • Young Hall, Church of the Nazarene
  • 1307 E. Citrus, Redlands, CA
  • 9:00am-3:00pm (set up any time after 8am)

Bring a sack lunch.

Class fee is, $30 made payable to Citrus Belt Quilters

Contact Jo Ann Coble at 951-682-5272 to sign up

Thanks for letting us know about this Cindy!

Thank You Latifah!

At our June 3rd meeting Latifa Saafir spoke to us about creativity, and different techniques we can use to inspire new, as well as give a kick start to our ideas. It was amazing!

I was inspired from the very minute she started speaking. She asked what is your favorite part of quilting? What makes you the happiest? It is such a simple question and I answered it with something kind of generic at the time. When I thought about it later however, I realized, I really love thinking about the person I am making the quilt for. I imagine them snuggled in the quilt, watching a movie or I picture the quilt beneath a fat baby reaching for a toy on the living room floor. A lot of emotions go into my quilts, in fact I rarely make a quilt just be creative. I had never really thought about my quilting like that until Latifah asked that question. I loved learning that.

If you didn’t get to be there Mike Graves took pictures for us. Thank Mike! Here are three of Latifah’s clam-shell designs. Her use of color fascinates me. And the shapes and designs within the clam-shell designs, are you kidding me? Gorgeous!

We were super lucky that Latifah is fairly local (LA). Because she drove to us, she brought more quilts to show than she usually does. Here are just a few of them.

What about you? How did you answer that question? Did she say anything that got your mind working? Did any of her quilts inspire you?

Latifah Saafir

We are so thrilled that Latifa Saafir is going to be speaking to us this Saturday!  If you aren’t already familiar with her work, you need to spend some time on her website. Her blog is fun to read too. She is candid, funny and honest, and she has some fantastic giveaways.

You know when you see a quilt and jealously think, “Why doesn’t my brain work like that?!” You don’t? Well I do, and I think it every time I look at her designs. Her designs are bold and her brilliant use of color  provides tons of visual interest.  This one is my very favorite. Although it is a simple design, the colors and placement has my eyes dancing all over the quilt.   I just can’t get enough.

Latifa will be speaking to us about being true to your inner artist. You will not want to miss this.

Here are the details.

 

May 2017 General Board Meeting

IEMQG Board Meeting
May 22, 2017
Joann’s Fabrics Classroom, 4470 Ontario Mills Parkway, Ontario, CA

Present: Laura Greene, President; Gayle Bennett, Treasurer; Cindy Chrisler, Secretary; Pat Klassen, Greeter. Rachel McGee and Jessica Cook, Charity; Rachel Rogers, Media; Tricia Williams, Membership; Candace Kimball, Raffle Chair; and Donna Gaston, Block Lotto were unable to attend. The meeting was called to order at 6:30. The minutes of the last meeting (April 17, 2017) were approved.

Laura discussed the timing of meeting activities for the June meeting. She asked how other quilt guilds run their meetings and got input from Citrus Belt Quilters and Nite Owls. Show and Share will be start around 3:45. The refreshment break will not exceed 15 minutes. Laura will announce that we can extend the meeting to 4:30 if we need to run over. We have to be out of the room by 5:00. The doors will open at 1:30 and the meeting will start at 2:05. Business items will be first on the agenda, and president’s announcements will be limited to 10 minutes. Shelley Waddup will bring a half sheet birthday cake to celebrate the guild’s first anniversary. Pat and Gayle will get the plates, cups, cutlery, and napkins . Pat will send out reminders to those who agreed to bring other refreshments. Laura estimates we will have up to 50 people attend the meeting.Pat requested that Laura make an announcement at the June meeting for volunteers to bring refreshments for the July meeting.

Secretary: Cindy will have a thank-you card for Latifah Saafir ready to give her at the June meeting.

Membership: no report. Trisha needs to send out an updated roster to all members.

Raffle: Gayle asked if we were getting a sufficient return on purchased items for the raffle. Last month we spent $20 on raffle prizes and sold $34 worth of tickets. Candace will be asked to demonstrate the QuiltCut II offered for raffle and also to make flyers to advertise it. The QuiltCut II will be raffled in December. Gayle examined the EQ7 DVD and book. They are for a PC only and not compatible with Mac. The EQ7 items will be raffled after the QuiltCut II.

Challenges: no report

Treasurer: Gayle cannot process our federal tax return (via e-card) because MQG has not yet updated their records. IEMQG is a branch of MQG, and we use their tax ID number. As soon as MQG updates their records and informs Gayle, she will complete our tax return.

Communications: Deb Ulrey had been managing the Instagram account but is no longer a member. At present no one can post on Instagram for the guild. Cindy was directed to send all minutes to Rachel Rogers to post on the website. Rachel is thinking of encouraging members to visit the website by having some sort of incentive. Gayle proposed that all members be linked to the website so they will get notices.

Hospitality: Pat requested clarification of the duties of the greeter. She has sign-in sheets but doesn’t know what to do with them. She will work with Tricia and have a sign-in sheet that will track up to 6 months of meetings, which will allow a quick scan to track members that regularly attend. Filled forms will be given to the president. The president should announce birthdays and attendance numbers at the meeting.

Sale Table: no report. Income from last month was $20. The sale table will be separate from the raffle table.

Charity: Rachel McGee and Jessica Cook will deliver about 15 quilts to Disabled Vets on Saturday 5/27 at the DAV open house in Highlands. All members are welcome to attend.

Block Lotto: no report. Laura will ask Donna to provide directions to the current block to post them online.

Programs: More sign-ups are needed for “Spotlight on a Quilter .” the September program will feature Sue Stone from Needle in a Fabric Stash. She will have a trunk show and a pop-up shop. There will be no sale table in September.

The agenda for the June meeting will be:
Lunch from 11:30 – 1:00 at the Lazy Dog in Ontario; Laura will host and all members are invited to attend
Room set up beginning at noon; Gayle and Pat will arrive at noon to arrange tables and chairs
Members can view the “birthday cake” prior to the meeting
The raffle table will be set up before the meeting starts
Laura will conduct the 5 questions game
Block lotto will be presented
Volunteers for refreshments for July will be solicited
The charity table will be set up for members who took pillow case kits but there will be no table sales or show and share
Flyers for the QuiltCutII will be available
Refreshment break
Speaker
Q & A

The July meeting program is not yet decided. Rachel suggested having a quilt critique: 4 stations with a quilt from the Word challenge at each station, and members rotate among the stations and discuss the quilts. Volunteers will be solicited as they bring their quilts to the July meeting. Gayle will run the July meeting as Laura will be out of town.

Ideas for future meetings include : how to attach a sleeve to a quilt for presentation; Linda Rasmussen, quilt judge; and a speaker from the Coachella guild, for whom Candy Scott has contact information; mini-quilt workshop by Jessica Cook (this may be a better idea for a workshop or a sew-day).

The September meeting will feature Dave Lindquist of Make it Sew on long arm machine use and rental. November will be mini-workshops.

The next meeting will be on Monday, June 19 6:30 at the Joann’s Fabrics in Ontario. Cindy will call and reserve the room.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:15.

Respectfully submitted,

Cindy Chrisler, Secretary

May 2017 General Meeting

IEMQG General Meeting
May 20, 2017
Grand Terrace Community Room, Grand Terrace, CA

The meeting was called to order at 2:00 by President Laura Greene. There is a change in the program today, Kim Wingert was supposed to make a presentation but had to cancel due to illness. Laura conducted the “five question game” and Cindy Chrisler won the prize.

Laura announced that QuiltCon has posted the challenge “Emerging Light” on their website. They also have posted the criteria for guilds to enter a charity quilt challenge, if guild members are interested in creating such a quilt.

Citrus Belt Quilters will host a workshop on June 29 with Allyson Allen, who will teach modern quilting techniques. The workshop costs $30 and is open to all. Members who are interested in attending may contact Cindy Chrisler for more information. Cindy will work with Rachel Rogers to get this information posted to the Instagram account and with Jessica to post it on Facebook.

There were 18 members at today’s meeting.

Donna Gaston received 24 blocks for the improve block lotto. Donna Gaston was the winner. The next block, due in July, is a house. The pattern and instructions will be posted online.

Rachel Rogers has reorganized the website and added a blog. She will add other features, such as “spotlights” on members. Members are encouraged to check the website weekly for updates and give input on what they like. Rachel will also post items on Instagram. Jessica Cook manages the guild’s Facebook page. Members should contact Jessica if they have questions about Facebook entries.

Rachel McGee brought pillow case kits to make for Disabled Veterans. She has labels available for community service projects, and members can also purchase the logo to use for labels or name badges. Rachel also has a quilt top and back ready to be quilted. She has acquired about 10 quilt to donate to Disabled Veterans.

The next Sew Day will be on Saturday, June 10 at the Mountain Shadows mobile home park from 9 – 5. Attendees should bring snacks and a lunch.
Aimee French made a presentation on this month’s Spotlight Quilter, Allison Glass. Aimee presented patters and fabrics designed by Allison Glass, and a top she pieced from Allison Glass’s designs. There will be no Spotlight Quilter next month due to the speaker, and in July Angela Walters will be featured.

The Word Challenge quilt will be due at the July meeting. Quilts may be put on display at a campus in the Riverside area (details are pending).
Members are invited to have lunch with Latifa Saafir prior to the next general meeting. If you are interested, you should contact Laura Greene.
After the refreshment break, members shared recent projects during Show and Share.

Candace Kimball conducted the raffle, and winners were Marilyn Simone and Carlene Scott.

Jessica Cook is this month’s Transitioning Quilter. She gave a mini-trunk show of her miniature quits. Members were supposed to make heart blocks but ran out of time. Laura provided patterns, and those who wish to do so may make heart blocks on a dark background with a modern print for the heart itself, and trim to a 5 ½” unfinished block. Laura will use the completed squares to make a larger heart. When finished, the quilt made from the heart blocks will be given to Kim Wingert.

The next meeting will be held on June 3 and feature Latifah Saafir. Guests will be charged $5 at that meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 4:00 PM.
Respectfully submitted,

Cindy Chrisler

April General Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting
April 17, 2017
Joann’s Fabrics Classroom, 4470 Ontario Mills Parkway, Ontario, CA

Present: Laura Greene, President; Gayle Bennett, Treasurer; Cindy Chrisler, Secretary; Tricia Williams, Membership; Candace Kimball, Raffle Chair; Rachel McGee, Charity; Jessica Cook; and Rachel Rogers, Media; Donna Gaston and Pat Klassen were unable to attend. The meeting was called to order at 6:30. The minutes of the last meeting (March 27, 2017) were approved (Gayle, Rachel R).

Secretary: Cindy sent thank you notes to Lynn Hanna and Kim Wingert as per Laura’s request last month. Lynn presented the program at the March meeting based on her trip to QuiltConn East, and Kim gave a lecture on quilting at the Upland Library.

Past President: Michele congratulated Laura for doing a good job this year.

Membership: Tricia reported that the guild has 44 members. Tricia will sub for Pat at the membership table when Pat is unavailable.

Raffle: Candace has received a number of donations. She will not be at the June meeting, and will ask at the May general meeting for a volunteer to handle raffles in June.
Challenges: After discussion, the board decided on the following themes for the next two challenges. The challenge due in September will have the theme “go big” and the challenge due in December will be “quilting in negative space.”

Treasurer: Gayle reported that the $150 check made to the City of Grand Terrace will not be cashed, they just hold it as a deposit for using the meeting room. Gayle will add that money back into the account. Fundraisers at the last meeting made $121 at the last meeting, and the checking account now has $1523 in it. Candace has not yet been reimbursed for raffle prizes, which come to two months at $20 each. Jessica suggested using donations for raffle prizes instead of purchasing items, but Candace wants raffles to coordinate with the quarterly challenge. Gayle has dropped off flyers advertising Latifah Shaffir’s talk in June at the Redlands Sewing Center and Painted Lady; she will also drop some flyers at stores in Upland. Jessica will drop off flyers other shops.

SCCQG: Gayle attended the Meet the Teachers SCCQG meeting on April 9. She found several potential speakers who are local and “modern,” including Sandra Johnson (sashiko/denim); Heidi Stengo (long arm quilting), and Claudia Gomez.

Communications: Rachel Rogers is the Communications Chair for the guild. She can post items on the website via WordPress. She will update the website and link it with the guild’s Instagram account. She plans on posting items on Mondays and Fridays. She would like to use the blog for sponsors, speaker interviews, and patterns. She will post the quarterly challenge on Instagram, take down the sponsor pate, and contact local quilt shops for sponsorships. Jessica will continue to moderate the guild’s Facebook page.

Facebook: Jessica is hosting a virtual sew-day once a month, down from every Sunday.

Hospitality: no report

Sale Table: Helen Matter and Marcia Schuh have agreed to run the sale table.

Charity: Rachel M has 18 quilt labels for charity quilts, and Laura has the rest to sell to members. Labels may be purchased for $1 and can be used for name tags or projects. There are two quilt kits and a quilt top out to be finished by members. The next Sit and Sew will be held on April 23 from 9 – 3 at Rachel’s trailer park community room. They will have a salad pot luck for lunch, and refreshments will be provided. Members can work on their own projects or make pillow cases from kits.

Block Lotto: no report

Programs: Aimee French will coordinate “Spotlight on a Quilter.” She will present Angela Walters at the May meeting. Members will be asked to research a modern quilter and make presentations at future meetings. Judee Koda will coordinate the Transitioning Quilter. Aimee French will be featured in July, and Laura Green will be featured in August. Ideas for future programs will include “Quilt University (mini-workshops), and Jessica will make a presentation on midarm quilting and Laura will present walking foot quilting. Cathy Glendening, who lives and works in Redlands, was suggested as a potential speaker. She works at Redlands Sewing Center and teaches quilting there.

Old Business:

The sandwich board was finished and used to provide direction and signage at the last meeting. The sign received a lot of positive feedback. Jessica presented Gayle with an invoice for the sign and Gayle issued a check to pay for it.

The June meeting will be the guild’s “birthday.” Laura suggested having cake and birthday decorations.

The next meeting will be on Monday, May 22 6:30 at the Joann’s Fabrics in Ontario. Cindy will call and reserve the room.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10.

Respectfully submitted,

Cindy Chrisler, Secretary

April 2017 Monthly Meeting Minutes

IEMQG General Meeting
April 1, 2017
Grand Terrace Community Room, Grand Terrace, CA

The meeting was called to order at 2:00 by President Laura Greene. Laura announced several upcoming national shows and deadlines for entries. Laura got an email late Friday afternoon from the City of Grand Terrace informing her that the community room will not be available for the May meeting. The Fontana Library may be an alternative site; members should watch their email for a notice of where the guild will meet next month. Laura conducted the “five question game” and Lynn Hanna won the prize. Laura announced that the next Sit and Sew will be on Saturday, April 22. More information will be posted on the guild’s Facebook page and on Instagram.

There were 21 Members and 1 guest at today’s meeting.

Jessica Cook brought the sandwich board IEMQG sign and stationed it outside the Library to advertise our meeting today. The sign can be used for any occasion involving IEMQG.

Gayle Bennett, Treasurer, reported that last month’s fundraisers fulfilled the goal of raising enough funds to pay for the June speaker. She thanked Jessica for her donation of fabric that successfully raised the funds.

Rachel McGee, Charity, noted that one member donated several quilts at this meeting. If members don’t want to donate such a large project as a quilt for charity, she suggested making pillow cases. Rachel has a donation of two tops with backs that need quilting. She also has strips of red, white, and blue available.

Donna Gaston drew the winner of the H/I blocks submitted at this meeting, which were won by Gayle Bennett. Next month will be the “improve block” swap made from the fabrics swapped today. If you did not participate in the swap, you can still make blocks based on four colors. The drawing next month will be winner takes all.

Lynn Hanna presented a slide show on quilts at QuiltCon East, which she attended last month. Lynn had submitted a quilt but it was not accepted for display.

After the refreshment break, Laura introduced a new segment for guild meetings, “Transitioning Quilter.” Each month, a member of the guild will show 3 – 4 quilts that show how they transition from traditional quilting to modern quilting. Gayle Bennett was the featured Transitioning Quilter for this month, and showed traditional scrappy quilts made by her grandmother and herself, followed by her “adventure into negative space.” She encouraged members to participate in challenges, especially those issued by Friends of the Modern Quilt Guild, which influenced her transition into modern quilting.

This month’s Spotlight Quilter is Joe Cunningham. Laura played some video clips and showed slides of some of his quilts. She asked members to suggest quilters for future meetings. Next month will feature Angela Walters.

Show and Tell featured ten members and their quilts.

Marlene Hinton, guest, won the raffle of “word” fabric.

The next meeting is Saturday May 6, 2017 and Kim Wingert will be our speaker.

Meeting adjourned at 4:00 PM.
Respectfully submitted,

Cindy Chrisler

March General Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting
March 27, 2017
Joann’s Fabrics Classroom, 4470 Ontario Mills Parkway, Ontario, CA

Present: Laura Greene, President; Gayle Bennett, Treasurer; Cindy Chrisler, Secretary; Michele Nichols, Past President; Tricia Williams, Membership, Candace Kimball, Raffle Chair. Donna Gaston, Rachel McGee, and Jessica Cook were unable to attend. The meeting was called to order at 6:30. The minutes of the last meeting (February 21, 2017) were approved (Gayle, Michele).

Secretary: Cindy had no report. The next meeting was set for April 17 at 6:30 at the same location.

Past President: Michele congratulated Laura for doing a good job this year.

Membership: Tricia has updated the membership list. Debbie Ulray has requested to be removed from the membership list. Tricia forgot the MQG pins at the last general meeting but will make sure to bring them to the next meeting and give them to those who signed up last time. Laura will send a welcoming email to new members and make sure they are enrolled in the national guild.

Raffle: Candace was given information about a cutting system (QuiltCut2) that is being donated by a member to raffle off at the guild. This is a high price item (estimated at over $200), so the raffle will be conducted over three months (April, May, June). People will write their name and phone number on the ticket, and they do not have to be present to win. The winning ticket will be pulled at the end of the June meeting. Other raffle ideas include directed raffles if the guild has several items. The budget for the raffle is $20 per month. Candace will work with the challenge themes for some raffle items. Raffle tickets will be $1 each or 6/$5 for all raffles conducted by the guild.

Challenges: After discussion, the board decided on the following themes for the next two challenges. The challenge due in September will have the theme “go big” and the challenge due in December will be “quilting in negative space.”

Treasurer: the guild has a little over $1500 in the checking account. Gayle reported that Jessica’s sale of her purged items was very successful and raised almost all the remaining money needed to cover the fee for the June speaker. Other fund raising ideas include an opportunity quilt and selling quilts and other items donated by members to the public via social media or public venues (craft shows, fairs, etc). Gayle will look into venues in Ontario where we can sell items without having to pay for a booth. Discussion for selling items through Facebook and Instagram were discussed. The Board would like to create a position for outside sales and find a coordinator for the position. Latifah Saafir has not yet returned her contract to the guild.

Hospitality: members have signed up for refreshments for next month, but we may need more water bottles.

Charity: Jessica and Rachel did not attend; no report.

Sale Table: Michele will run the Sale Table for the April meeting.

Block Lotto: Donna was unable to attend. There is some confusion about the sizes of fabric to bring for the swap. Laura will ask Donna for clarification and send a blast out to members and post it on the guild’s Facebook page.

Programs: The April meeting will feature Lynn Hanna presenting her pictures from QuiltCon East. A projector and screen have been secured for the meeting. The Spotlight Quilter will be Joe Cunningham; Laura has a nice video clip of him to share. Laura would like to have a new segment at the meetings featuring “transitional quilters” in the guild who will use 3 – 4 of their own quilts to show their transition from “traditional” quilts to “modern” quilts. Gayle will be the April Transitional Quilter; Jessica Cook will be asked to present in May; the June meeting is full and this will not be on the program; other members will be approached at meetings as potential Transitional Quilters.

Future programs include Andres Rosales from MQG for May. However, he is not the most motivational speaker and his topic would be general information about MQG and how to navigate their website. Laura will ask Robin Grube to speak in May on the use of the color wheel and general color and design of quilts. Laura will ask Kim Wingert to present a talk on Amish quilts for the July meeting (Kim is giving a talk on quilts at the Upland Library on Tuesday, March 28). Michele suggested contacting Robert Tucker of Coachella Valley Quilt Guild to speak, he is their webmaster and may speak for a minimal fee (lunch, transportation), and Laura will contact him. Gayle will contact Needle in a Fabric Stash for July and The Batty Lady, possibly for August; Tricia will contact Kathy Lee of the Redlands Sewing Center as a potential speaker; and the guild may offer mini-tutorials for a meeting program.

Laura asked the Board members to look at the membership list and select potential program chairs. Names selected include Amiee French, Jaimie Kozaki, Ginger Gabriel, Judee Koda, Cat Wallace, Lisa Homes, and Carleen Drake. Cindy suggested that the position be filled by co-chairs.

The next Sit ‘n Sew will be held on April 22 at the community room of the trailer park at 12830 6th St. in Yucaipa (Rachel McGee’s trailer park). It will be held from 9 a.m. until 3:00ish and lunch will be a pot luck.

The sandwich board discussion is tabled until the next meeting.

The June meeting will be the guild’s “birthday.” Laura suggested having cake and birthday decorations.

Communications: Rachel Rogers has agreed to be the VP of Communications.

The next meeting will be on Monday, April 17 at 6:30 at the Joann’s Fabrics in Ontario. Cindy will call and reserve the room.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:05.
Respectfully submitted,

Cindy Chrisler, Secretary