Minutes · Minutes General Board

August 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
August 15, 2019
Simone’s Residence – Riverside, CA

The meeting was called to order at 7:20 pm by Gayle, with the following members in attendance: Gayle, Jennifer, Cat, Simone, Judy and Becky.

Old Business

Committee Reports:

Treasurer, Cat

Bank Balance Report – Chase statement distributed along with a check register. 

Fundraising, Gayle for Laura

Upcoming Sale/Craft Fair Events:

In view of the time commitment & resources expended for special events, no further events, craft fairs, exhibits, etc., shall be allowed unless there is final board approval. Jen motioned in agreement; Cat seconded – motion approved.

We reviewed Laura’s email correspondence, which included the inventory of items available for the remaining craft fair events for the year. Laura hoped the guild could make the wine caddies and a few more items for the craft fairs. Laura will be hosting a Pricing Event at her home on October 6th from 11 am to 2 pm. A potluck lunch will be held. She’d like to make an announcement to invite members to help out as well at the September meeting.

As a group, we decided that not all items should be sold at the Mountain Shadows event as we do not want to deplete our supply as we also have the Kris Kringle event in early December. 

Mountain Shadows, Highland – 9 am to 1 pm on October 12th: The sign-up sheet was passed around at the August meeting. However, no one signed up for the 7-9am set up, 9-11am, and 1pm cleanup (only the 2 members signed up for the 11-1pm shift).  Laura will ask for more sign-ups at the September meeting. We need to post the flyer for the Gift Fair at Mountain Shadows on October 12th on social media and the website. We also want to encourage members to spread the flyer via email, texts, or Facebook. Members can repost on social media during the last two weeks of September. We need to get the flyers out to local quilt shops and guilds. Laura will bring plenty of flyers to the September meeting. She would like a list of shops or places we think they need to be advertised at. She will make copies and take them around the IE during September. Once we work through the Mountain Shadows event, we can then focus more heavily on the Kris Kringle event.

Kris Kringle Craft Fair, Ontario – December 4th, per Gayle it might be a good idea to have items $20 and under. Suggested items were pet supplies, bingo accessories, and lap sized quilts. Gayle handed out a pattern for a bingo dobber carrying bag. Jen offered to revamp the Kris Kringle flyer. Laura will pass out a shift sign-up sheet at the October and November meetings.

Opportunity Quilt Discussion, Cat

We are slightly behind schedule. Cat needs to finalize the quilt layout and coordinate piecing of the quilt top. She also needs to make a design wall and finish truing up the HSTs (currently 100 blocks have been trued up). Cat will work exclusively on these items tomorrow and on Sunday, she will reach out to Pat to come over and help with the layout and finalize. We need to solicit help with piecing the quilt top at a Sit and Sew or Sew In. Any place we have this at will need to have plenty of space for the quilt stand. Cat assured us she will be ready to piece next week, no later than 8/25, and that would put us back on track/target.

We discussed the opportunity sale tickets process – focused more on the printing of tickets. We decided we wanted a photo on the tickets, a snippet of the quilt so that you get a flavor of what you’d be buying. We need to coordinate ordering the tickets; Gayle to find out from Debbie W of Nite Owls how they go about it. We confirmed ticket prices will be $1.00/each and $5.00/6 tickets. Simone volunteered to design the tickets! She has a self-imposed deadline of November 1st to have the design completed; to allow for any changes and printing. The holiday party, the table at Road to California (if accepted), Renaissance Fairs, OC/LA county fairs, Upland Festival, Lavender Festival, Ontario Museum and Chaffey were brought up as options of places to sell the tickets. We will come up with list of venues and have the Board vote on it.  As ticket raffle sales will generate a large amount of revenue, Gayle will provide paperwork to the MQG to request an exemption letter to submit when we obtain the required permit from the state of California to sell the raffle tickets that will be valid for one year.  The cost of the permit is $20.

Programs, All

Sept – What Was I Thinking? Cat will be MC’ing this event. She will start out the program with her own ugly fabric. We decided that everyone who participates will have a chance to win a booby prize. Gayle will provide a blog post and we’ll post on social media. Location: Riverside Main Library

October – Elizabeth Eastmond Lecture – Contract Signed? Cost? Location: Riverside Main Library

Nov – Member University (Christine/Slice & Dice, Cat/6 Minute Circle, Simone/Paper Piecing, Laura/TBD. Location: Casa Blanca

Dec – Holiday Party/Sweet and Savory.  Location: Casa Blanca (pending)

Jan – TENTATIVE – Workshop event with Elizabeth Eastmond or Colleen Granger; potential speaker Latifah Saafir suggested. Becky will look into this possibility, but it may be too short of notice.

Feb – Simone Bradford, Color Theory. Cat will see if she can find inexpensive color wheels for Simone’s presentation. If Cat finds them, she will run the cost by the Board for approval.

March – TBD

We are officially without a VP of Programs. We were thinking Elizabeth could help out, and this would be a 2 person position. Jen will reach out to Candy again. Cat is available to help as needed. We need to resurrect Cat’s old program matrix, which would be a great tool for anyone taking over the position.

Charity Report (Gayle for Rachel)

Gayle passed out 7 kits at the August meeting and will pass out the next 7 kits at the September meeting. Cat brought up if we want to buy batting for the charity quilts. Cat will call Quilters Dream to see what is available and the price; and she will also check with EE Schenck to compare prices. The batting would be seconds – significant discount off wholesale pricing but perfectly useable. Becky made a motion to allocate $125 for the batting, Jennifer seconded – motion approved.

Membership, Judy

Judy has taken over Ruthann’s position. She took thorough notes from Ruthann at the August meeting and will have Ruthann look it over and then post her responsibilities on the shared drive.


Retreat – Goodie Bag Status, Jen

Cat mentioned that the EE Schenck website has many items suitable for the goodie bags for the retreat. Jen will coordinate with Cat on items available for purchase, as Cat has access to the website as a wholesaler.

New Business

No new business

Next Board Meeting

The next board meeting will be September 26th at 6:00 pm (location to be advised). 

The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Becky Brekke, Secretary

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *