Minutes · Minutes General Board

May 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
May 4, 2019

The meeting was called to order at 5:00 pm by Gayle, with the following members in attendance: Shelley, Jennifer, Laura, Ruthann, Pat and Becky.

 Old Business:
Committee Reports:

President – Gayle

Retreat

It was decided that a committee needed to be formed for this year’s retreat. Jen will chair, and committee members will be Gayle, Shelley and Cat. Pat will be available to assist on an as needed basis only. Becky will be the snack coordinator. Need to decide the price per person for snacks – $10, $15 or $20?

We should contact sewing/quilting related companies to solicit for donations for the retreat goodie bags and raffles. We will ask Natalie Barnes if we can buy some product at a discounted price and/or perhaps she can give us some freebies. Jen has a 2 fat quarter basket pattern to include in the goodie bags that quilters can make at the retreat if they wish, maybe even as a group activity.

As of the May general meeting, 16 members are confirmed. Estimate capacity at 22 members. We need to provide a room count and we should be conservative as the room quantity will be included in the contract. We’ll require final payment from members by the September meeting. Gayle will confirm if ironing boards and irons will be available in the work room.

VP Programs – Shelley

June: Dora Cary from Orange Dot Quilts will be the featured presenter for the birthday meeting.

July: Christine will be the Transitional Quilt speaker.

August: Natalie Barnes, Aurifil Ambassador will be the featured speaker. Will need to provide Natalie with an estimate of how many people will be attending the August meeting for her requisition to Aurifil.

September: Elizabeth Eastmond did not put us on her calendar for a workshop on September 19th and now she is unavailable. Need to determine an alternate date for a workshop.

VP Communications – Jennifer

Jen suggested adding a program matrix showing which would track what activities are going on each month, such as speaker, program, workshop, sit and sew, etc. as a quick reference. We would keep it updated and post on the website.

Also discussed our current social media content and how to have members be more involved.  Kelley did a great job reaching out to members who weren’t on the guild’s page on Facebook and helped facilitate getting them to join our page.

Fundraising / Raffles / Exhibits – Laura

A fundraising committee is required immediately. Laura provided a list of priority action items:

an itemized list/inventory of what has already been donated and to determine how more items will be needed; a pricing list; sign-up sheet for members to work the craft fair; sit and sew dates dedicated to making craft fair items; and fabric to be cut and made into kits. Jen volunteered her home for a sit and sew.

Discussed and clarified that at this time, we will do a one day; one event only.  Some events/venues that were mentioned: Redlands Market Night, Birches, The Village Venture, Pomona Fairgrounds (car and home shows), Festival of Trees in Riverside. Laura suggested registering as a vendor on www.fairsandfestivals.net for access to local craft fairs (event details, contact info, website, application, etc). The fee is $35 for one year to join.

The best option, however, is to participate in a local rummage sale in July.  The fee is reasonable for a table to sell our craft fair items. We will meet on June 15th at Laura’s home to package up the sale items.

Chaffey Museum of Art – We have approximately 31 quilts for the exhibit, ‘Splashes of Color and Space’ running from May 23 – July 20, 2019.  No size restrictions but quilts are required to have a standard four-inch sleeve. There is still time to submit a quilt to the museum on May 18th and 19th.

For the Road to California Atrium Exhibit, the quilts need to be a minimum of 72” long x a maximum 100” wide. The quilts will also require a standard four-inch sleeve.

Block Lotto

Discussed the progress of block lotto for the year thus far.

Membership – No new business

Secretary – No new business

Charity – No new business

Welcome/Refreshments – No new business

New Business:

Lead Cards

Gayle is working on obtaining 4×6 lead cards for the guild. The cards will have a photo of a modern quilt or two, IEMQG logo and our mission statement on the front, and on the back will contain website info, etc. The front will be glossy and the back will be matte so that it can be written on easily. Mike will design the cards and Jen will request quotes for printing of the cards.

Opportunity Quilt

Cat has found a pattern that she will modify for the Opportunity Quilt and present to us at a later date. It was discussed that we could schedule Sit and Sew solely dedicated to sew blocks. In this way it would be a controlled environment where Cat will provide specific instructions and fabrics. It was also mentioned to have a dedicated person to square up the blocks for uniformity. Cat will longarm the quilt at no cost to the guild.

Sit and Sew Location Options:

  • Shelley will contact Cotton Gin/Redlands Sewing Center.
  • Jen will contact Quilter’s Cocoon in Riverside.
  • Gayle will contact her local police department to see if their conference room is available.

Bylaws:

It was brought up that should look into changing the bylaw concerning guest fees. Specifically, Section 1, “Visitors may attend one meeting, free of charge. Any meetings thereafter, $5 will be charged.” If the visitor’s first meeting is one in which there is a paid speaker, then a $5 fee shall apply. We will need to have a formal motion or discuss further at our next meeting.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be June 18th at 6 pm at Shelley’s home.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:40 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Becky Brekke, Secretary