Minutes · Minutes General Board

April 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

IEMQG Board Meeting Minutes
April 17, 2019
JoAnn Fabrics and Crafts, Ontario, CA 91764

The meeting was called to order at 6:10 pm by Gayle, with the following members in attendance: Cat, Shelley, Laura, Simone and Becky.

Old Business:

Committee Reports:

President – Gayle
Retreat
Gayle confirmed that the Vina De Lestonnac Convent (aka the Nunnery) in Temecula is available Monday through Wednesday, November 11-13th for the guild’s second annual retreat. In order to formerly reserve the Nunnery, a $250 deposit is required, when the paperwork is submitted by Gayle. Note, final payment isn’t due until the day we check in. Ten days before the retreat, they require a final head count. Information obtained is as follows: 15 members is the minimum required to have the dedicated work room. Although, the maximum number of members the room can hold is 25, 20 would most comfortable. Check-in is 10 am on Monday and room check out is 11 am but we still have the workroom until 2 pm. There are 12 bedrooms available, with pricing as follows: Triple Occupancy $226/person; Double Occupancy $276/person; Single Occupancy $376/person; Day Commuter $33/day. If there are any dietary restrictions, they will do their best to accommodate you. Sign-ups will be available at the May meeting. In order for members to reserve their spot, they need to provide a $100 deposit at time of sign-up. Remainder of payment due at August meeting. Discussed an upcharge for Jen to create cute retreat favors – $10/person?? Jen – please let us know if you’d be willing to do this again and if $10/person is sufficient. Also, discussed briefly future retreat locations in Big Bear and Fallbrook.

Meeting Location
Consensus at the April general meeting was that everyone liked the room at the Main/Mission Inn library. Parking is an issue, but not enough to deter attendance it was determined. We do have to set up and put away chairs at ever meeting, but as a guild we are used to it and everyone has no problem pitching in to help. Last month the library did not charge us the $20 room fee as we did not use the kitchen. We will look into finding out if we can use the room without a fee going forward. We discussed if we should stay in Grand Terrace for the summer months of June, July and August, or stay at the Main/Mission Inn library, and how we felt the change of locations could affect guild attendance. Other suggestions were for Simone to check into the Janet Goeske Center again and for Shelley to look into facilities provided by Riverside Park & Recreation. After our discussions, Laura made a motion to have all general meetings going forward at the Main/Mission Inn library, and thus officially changing the meeting location from Grand Terrace to Riverside. Cat seconded the motion. Becky will reserve the room for as far out as allowable. Shelley, told us that as a token of the Guild’s appreciation to the library, perhaps members could donate quilting related books at the end of the year. Something we should look into further and announce at a future meeting.

Road to California
Gayle proudly announced that the Guild won one of the $500 prize money for guild attendance!! She will inform members of this exciting news at the May meeting.

VP Programs – Shelley
Kim will be presenting “Community and Creativity, a History of Women and Quilting”. A projector and computer is needed for Kim’s presentation for the May meeting, which Laura will bring. Dora Cary from Orange Dot Quilts will be the featured presenter for the June birthday meeting. And Christine will be the Transitional Quilter for July.

Gayle brought up the possibility of having Natalie Barnes, who is a new brand ambassador for Aurafil, to present a free lecture and trunk show, for our August meeting.

Cat noted that Sarah Goer (one of the standouts at SCCQG’s Meet the Teachers event) will be at the Hi Desert Quilt Guild in Ridgecrest, CA, on March 5th and 6th, 2020. We were thinking to possibly have her be our March presenter on March 7th with a workshop on the 8th? Or combine both in one day?

Tentative Member University presenters:
Improv square pieces/emotions – Laura
Paper piecing – Simone
6 minute circle – Cat
Shelley will ask Lynn Hannah to provide a demonstration of her choice.

Treasurer – Cat
Cat discussed the bank balance and confirmed reconciliation of the account. Cat confirmed the MQG dues have been paid. Discussed breaking out the fundraising lines on the cash flow report to have a better idea of how much each fundraising activity is bringing in. Currently, Cat has been placing comments in the line items to describe the income source, but having a line item for each fundraiser activity might be a better solution.

Fundraising / Raffles / Exhibits – Laura
Laura will bring an opportunity basket and new fabric kits to the May meeting. She will also have a table set up to collect boutique fundraiser items. Worthy items will be shown during the Show and Share portion of the meeting. She is also bringing more donated fabric for a flash sale.

Chaffey Museum of Art – Modern quilts will be collected at the May meeting. Laura will have the forms required to accompany the quilts being collected available at the meeting. The exhibit, ‘Splashes of Color and Space’ runs from May 23 – July 20, 2019. 40-50 of any size quilts will be needed. In addition, there will be pedestals available to display, other modern objects. Simone agreed to exhibit her chair she shared with the guild last year.

Debby Winter from Road to California, contacted Laura about featuring guild member quilts in the breeze way for R2CA next year, 2020. Laura immediately said yes. We don’t have many details, but have determined the quilt size needs to be a twin or larger and of course, modern. Further details to follow in the coming months.

Membership – Ruthann (via email correspondence)
Ruthann confirmed that the membership roster in Google drive is current and matches the roster in the MQG website. 39 members paid their dues for 2019. There were 12 members from 2018 who did not renew. Ruthann will create and send a survey to the non returning members for their feedback for not signing up this year.

VP Communications – No new business
Secretary – No new business
Block Lotto – No new business
Charity – No new business
Welcome/Refreshments – No new business

New Business:
SCCQG – Meet the Teachers
The group who attended the Meet the Teachers event on April 12th, shared that the following teachers were standouts:
The Quilts of Mac McNamara (New Hampshire), http://www.macquilts.com/index.html

Elizabeth Eastmond, Occasional Piece Quilt (OP Quilt), https://opquilt.com/

Colleen Grainger, Sew Little Time Quilting, http://www.sewlittletimequilting.com/index.php

Laura made a motion to hire Elizabeth Eastmond to present at our October 5th general meeting with a workshop to follow on October 19th and Shelley seconded the motion.

Lead Cards
Gayle is working on 4×6 lead cards for the guild. The cards will have a photo of a modern quilt or two (most likely photos will be Simone’s quilts), logo on the front, and on the back will contain website info, etc. The front will be glossy and the back will not be glossy so that it can be written on easily. Mike will design the cards.

Opportunity Quilt
Cat told us that she has found a pattern for the Opportunity Quilt. It will be a queen size quilt using Kaffe Fassett fabric, 2” HST squares, and no borders. She is counting on Pat to assist with color placement and the color gradient. It was discussed that we could schedule Sit and Sew solely dedicated to sew blocks. In this way it would be a controlled environment where Cat will provide specific instructions and fabrics. It was also mentioned to have a dedicated person to square up the blocks for uniformity. Laura brought up pricing of the opportunity quilt tickets. Asked us to suggest a couple pricing scenarios of $2/ticket or 12 for $10 or $5/ticket or 3 for $10. Due to the amount of money we hope to raise, we are leaning towards $5/ticket or 3 for $10. This was not voted on and will be discussed more at a later date. Gayle, found pricing for a stand for $105 if we choose to purchase one or two for the quilt. No timeline has been established as this is still a work in progress.

Christmas Party / Sit and Sew Locations
Becky will inquire to her HOA regarding availability, pricing and requirements to rent a room for the Christmas party and possibly sit and sews.

Gayle will contact her local police department to obtain information to use their conference room for a Sit and Sew. Possibly May 19th and/or June 9th?

We will also be inquiring if we can reserve the Main/Mission Inn library room all day for a Sit and Sew. We would need to confirm if there would be enough circuits for sewing machines and irons.

Next Meetings
For the month of May, we are combining the general and board meetings in one day: General Meeting at 2pm-4pm and the Board Meeting will follow afterwards at Shelley’s home.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Becky Brekke, Secretary

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *